LP12

A place for DIY project discussions.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: LP12

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm

There is something very appealing about this vinyl lark. No way am I giving up on vinyl after this little reminder. 10.years have passed since my son started wrecking stuff and it got packed away.
I can see where you are coming from. When I turned to CD in the mid 80s I did not replace any of my vinyl. Inspite of its numerous short comings vinyl does have a certain appeal most often referred to as musicality. It was only when I began upsampling, which to these ears combined the best of both formats, nearly four years ago that digital fully totally took over.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:31 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm Playing Aerosmith- Toys in the attic.

As far as speed stability goes I don't detect any problems but then I don't listen to solo piano .

How did it sound on the last track? I think this is a decent test and have found digital to score over vinyl.
I've heard you see me crying sounding dodgy on cd. It's as if the master tape got stretched or something. Either that or Aerosmith were off their faces :grin: It's the piano that does it. Can't say I noticed anything bad on the old fruitbox. But then I was just over the moon hearing that lovely anologue replay again.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm Playing Aerosmith- Toys in the attic.

As far as speed stability goes I don't detect any problems but then I don't listen to solo piano .

How did it sound on the last track? I think this is a decent test and have found digital to score over vinyl.
I've heard you see me crying sounding dodgy on cd. It's as if the master tape got stretched or something. Either that or Aerosmith were off their faces :grin: It's the piano that does it. Can't say I noticed anything bad on the old fruitbox. But then I was just over the moon hearing that lovely anologue replay again.
Probably were off their faces and have made the news about it this week. A 65 year old woman is accusing Steven Tyler of taking advantage of her in 1973. Is he likely to remember. :lol: Apparently he has been in rehab recently well into his 70s.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:12 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:58 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 pm

Probably were off their faces and have made the news about it this week. A 65 year old woman is accusing Steven Tyler of taking advantage of her in 1973. Is he likely to remember. :lol: Apparently he has been in rehab recently well into his 70s.
Best story i heard was that they used to play Lightning strikes as the last song (must have been early 80's) but one gig they decided to play it first. Got off the helicopter totally mullered, went on stage, played Lightning strikes, thought it was the end of the gig and fucked off :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CN211276 (Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:21 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

The big problem I have got here is that it is 10 years since I listened to this deck and it was through naim amps and in a different room (home). Now it's in a different room, on a different support, with different amps and speakers and with a new subchassis and spring replacements.

What hope in hell have I of making any meaningful comparison. I remember a copy of Zenyetta Mondatta I bought in a charity shop for £2 in the early 2000's. It was the first vinyl album I ever bought as a pre teenager. My sisters borrowed that and wrecked it. When I bought it again in 2000 and something I played it on the fruitbox and absolutely loved it. Ineed to play it again but that album resides at home and I was at the farm today. Will take it with me on Monday.

I don't remember not enjoying any album I played on it back then but then my naim system was nowhere near as revealing as my nva based system is now. You see there are too many bleeding variables to make any meaningful comparisons except with CD versions of the same album.

I will carry on with my journey through the dark into the unknown. I must say I have not noticed any speed instability. Maybe these spring replacements are doing the business in that regard ? Who knows. It's just my opinion and means nothing except to me.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

This is very loosely related to the LP12 but John R of Anologue Innovations who is a member here and manufacturer of the in sole spring replacements and sole subchassis has been going through a bad time. His wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in April and died in December. But with all the stress John had a heart attack in the hospice and the carers there saved his life with cpr and a defibrillator.

He told me this by pm on pfm but has since posted it on the forum over there so I don't think he will mind me mentioning it here.

God bless you John :guiness;
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 pm) • Lindsayt (Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:45 pm) • Alfi (Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:59 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Best wishes, John. Sorry to hear you've had a rough time.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:38 pm) • Alfi (Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:59 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm Apparently the Rubikon sub chassis will not accept a karousel bearing :roll: Not that I want one but it will lower its value as the sheep "upgrade" to the new bearing.

Plus this Aro version won't even accept an aro :lol:
Would it take a few minutes work with a pillar drill to modify it to take a karousel bearing?
That's assuming you can get one dirt cheap. The £850 brand new retail price is getting into the realm of: don't bother. Buy a Lenco and mod that instead. Or a Jap DD.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:58 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm Apparently the Rubikon sub chassis will not accept a karousel bearing :roll: Not that I want one but it will lower its value as the sheep "upgrade" to the new bearing.

Plus this Aro version won't even accept an aro :lol:
Would it take a few minutes work with a pillar drill to modify it to take a karousel bearing?
That's assuming you can get one dirt cheap. The £850 brand new retail price is getting into the realm of: don't bother. Buy a Lenco and mod that instead. Or a Jap DD.
I'm sure somebody could mill it out easy enough. I won't be going down that route. If my bearing was trashed then there are probably plenty of decent cirkus bearings on the market. I refuse to get that anal about it though. Could always get a Tranquility - hope it's designed better than the Ruby Con. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Somebody advised me on another forum to bin the spring replacements , buy loads of expensive linn parts and get it set up "properly" by a professional. This was after saying that I refused to spend anymore money on it :roll: :roll: :roll:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:31 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:35 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE