Digital Streamer Geek / Nerd / Guru Help required please

All general audio posts go here.
Bencat57
Great Britain

Re: Digital Streamer Geek / Nerd / Guru Help required please

Unread post by Bencat57 »

@TheRealAleMan If you are using Virgin and it is cable then you can only use a Virgin Hub as the router . What are you using now and what service do you have ?

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Yeah stuck with the superhub but disabled all the features (wireless DHCP and firewall) use a wireless router connected to that to provide real networking. I have a Cisco RV134 VDSL coming now though

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

TheRealAleman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:08 pm GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :angry-fire: :angry-fire: Just discovered that my so called Gigabit "Router" actually only has 10/100MB wired ports!! It's only so called Gigabit as the 5GHz is 867Mbps and the 2.4 GHz is 300 ... so 1167MBs throughput. :Bllocks: :Bllocks: :Bllocks:

Arrghhhhhhhhhhhh! Ok Now I need a new Wireless router with Gigabit ports as well as dual band wiFi ... any of you helpful people have any suggestions ... I wonder if I can configure the 2960 as a DHCP Server???

Wondered why internal speed tests showed I was only getting 70Mbs download when I should be getting towards 250Mbs ... good job I didn't give Virgin Support a hard time :D
Go to your ISP. Tell them your router is rubbish as it's throttling your internet speed via the wired connections. See if they will send you a new router for free.

BTW are you absolutly sure your router won't go to 1000mbps on the wired ports?
Looking at my router I can see one port at 10mbps, another at 100mbps and another at 1000mbps
With the speeds all depending on the network speed of the device they are connected to (some of which are manually over-ridden to throttle them down).
My router auto negotiates with the device it's connected to.
I'd expect any router supplied in the last 6 years to do 1000mbps wired connection speeds.

Edit: another BTW, the router can still be used as a DHCP server. Any device connected to your incoming Cisco 2960G should work at 1000mbps when talking to each other via the Cisco. It's just that when they are talking to your router, devices connected directly to your router and the Internet they will be communicating at 100mbps - if there's a bottleneck with your router.

TheRealAleman
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:34 pm Go to your ISP. Tell them your router is rubbish as it's throttling your internet speed via the wired connections. See if they will send you a new router for free.
Nothing wrong with the router, plugging in and doing a speed test I get 250Mbs download as I should. The problem is that Virgin in their wisdom decided to use 192.168.1 as the Wireless range for the router ... which cannot be changed (Doh! Doh!) ... My home network uses 192.168.1 for all the devices ... and a lot of them are static, which is a huge amount of work to change ... It was so much easier with BT, but Virgin tempted me with a silly price for 250MBs.

The only way to get around the "Problem" is to plug another Wireless Router into the "Super"Hub 3, which is switched to "Modem" only mode. The Wireless router then becomes the interface to the home network, and I don't have to change the config ... only issue is that the crappy device I grabbed does not do Gigabit on the wired ports, and only approximates gigabit wirelessly over the 5GHz and 2.4Ghz frequencies combined!

So a Cisco RV134W VDSL2 /ADSL2+ WAN Wireless Router is on it's way from the bay of E ... To co with the two cisco 2960G-8 routers that arrived today. Been watching Youtube vids to learn how to do basic config on them ... doesn't look difficult

Lindsayt
Nauru

Can't you tell the DHCP server part of the Virgin router what IP range to dish out IP addresses in?

EG in my home system 192.168.1.1 through to 192.168.1.20 are for static IP's.
192.168.1.21 to 192.168.1.200 are for dynamic IP's.

It's perfectly fine if your wireless and wired devices share the same IP range in a home network. Because it will be the single DHCP server on your router that's dishing out the dynamic IP's.

It doesn't make any sense for you to get a 2nd router if you have a reasonably modern Virgin router. The 2nd router is just wasting electricity.

Changing static IP addresses for all printers, servers, IP cameras in a home network is not a huge job. Especially if you've been organised when assigning static IP's so that they all, or most of them, fall in a certain range. Because then, all you do is change the stray static IP's and then configure the DHCP server accordingly.

BTW the Cisco 2960G's aren't routers. They are switches.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
TheRealAleman (Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 am)

TheRealAleman
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am Can't you tell the DHCP server part of the Virgin router what IP range to dish out IP addresses in?
Yes of course with one little proviso

Using the VM hub in its normal router mode (out of the box), you cannot under any circumstances, use the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, this is reserved for the ;guest wifi provision, even if you have no intention of using it and have, indeed turned it off.

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 amEG in my home system 192.168.1.1 through to 192.168.1.20 are for static IP's.
192.168.1.21 to 192.168.1.200 are for dynamic IP's.
Indeed I have something very similar.
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am It's perfectly fine if your wireless and wired devices share the same IP range in a home network. Because it will be the single DHCP server on your router that's dishing out the dynamic IP's.
Yep, I had difficulty remembering just what the issue was when I had to get the additional router. Blame my age :D
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 amIt doesn't make any sense for you to get a 2nd router if you have a reasonably modern Virgin router. The 2nd router is just wasting electricity.

Changing static IP addresses for all printers, servers, IP cameras in a home network is not a huge job. Especially if you've been organised when assigning static IP's so that they all, or most of them, fall in a certain range. Because then, all you do is change the stray static IP's and then configure the DHCP server accordingly.
It's that organised bit unfortunately, as the network has grown organically over time. :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm taking the opportunity of putting the Cisco 2960G Switches in to face the pain of RE IP'ing the entire network, and will do so via DHCP and reserved IP Addresses allocated via MAC Address.
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 amBTW the Cisco 2960G's aren't routers. They are switches.
:doh: :doh: :doh: DOH!! Thanks for that :D I thought switch, and my fingers typed Router :lol: :lol: Again blame my age :lol: :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

TheRealAleman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:18 am
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am Can't you tell the DHCP server part of the Virgin router what IP range to dish out IP addresses in?
Yes of course with one little proviso

Using the VM hub in its normal router mode (out of the box), you cannot under any circumstances, use the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, this is reserved for the ;guest wifi provision, even if you have no intention of using it and have, indeed turned it off.
Dumbass annoying Virgin router. Makes you wonder about the IT competence of the Virgin department responsible for their routers.

Worst case scenario appears to be transfering all you static devices to whatever IP range the Virgin router will allow for your main home network. EG transferring static IP 192.168.1.6 to 192.168.2.6 etc.
That's still not a huge job.