Cartridge

A place for DIY project discussions.
r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Re: Cartridge

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:56 pm Copied directly from the Sumiko website, see https://sumikophonocartridges.com/what- ... cartridge/

The suspension is typically made with a compliant elastomer material that allows the cantilever to move freely in the dimensions the stylus requires, but also acts to damp resonance coming from the cantilever.
This is true of MM cartridges, but not true of most MC carts. They have a tie wire that provides suspension and a damper that damps.
This damper doesn't damp resonances in the cantilever, it is there to damp the primary LF resonance caused by the effective mass of the arm/cartridge interacting with the compliance of stylus pivot. A more effective way to damp this resonance is use an arm with an adjustable fluid (or magnetic) damper.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
karatestu (Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:52 am)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Sorry Geoff but Im not establishing the quality of evidence for you. If any of those links prove your point that's for you to establish.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:47 pm Sorry Geoff but I'm not establishing the quality of evidence for you. If any of those links prove your point that's for you to establish.
Do as you wish, I didn't need the evidence, it was provided for your benefit to demonstrate that suspensions can, and do, fail. I already had all the evidence I needed before I even ran the search. If you aren't interested, fine by me.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 pm
NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:56 pm Copied directly from the Sumiko website, see https://sumikophonocartridges.com/what- ... cartridge/

The suspension is typically made with a compliant elastomer material that allows the cantilever to move freely in the dimensions the stylus requires, but also acts to damp resonance coming from the cantilever.
This is true of MM cartridges, but not true of most MC carts. They have a tie wire that provides suspension and a damper that damps.
This damper doesn't damp resonances in the cantilever, it is there to damp the primary LF resonance caused by the effective mass of the arm/cartridge interacting with the compliance of stylus pivot. A more effective way to damp this resonance is use an arm with an adjustable fluid (or magnetic) damper.
From the Sumiko page linked above:
Suspension Wire (MC cartridges only) – On the generator end, a wire is attached to the cantilever that can be pulled to create a tension of the coil assembly against the suspension elastomer. This tension defines the behaviour of the suspension in relation to the mass and tracking force of the cartridge. It is a critical adjustment when building the cartridge.

The wire and damper together comprise the suspension, if I am reading the paragraph correctly.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Not a Moving Coil but my Ortofon VMS30 suspension seems to be OK after something over 30 years (the cartridge is older than that but I replaced the stylus).. Thus, whilst suspension failure remains possible age alone can't be taken as a factor in every case.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm)