Film recommendations.

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Film recommendations.

Unread post by Gromit »

A bit like 'last listen' - not only what have you been watching, but also what would you recommend from previous viewing?

I'm not much of a film buff myself (don't get the time tbh) but am always open to recommendations...especially if it has spaceships in it. 8-)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Theo
Great Britain

Re: Film recommendations.

Unread post by Theo »

I loved "Life of Pi" at the cinema recently: I even did the gimmicky thing of seeing it in 3D :) Just a really enjoyable, engrossing film.

No spaceships, sadly...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Theo wrote:I loved "Life of Pi" at the cinema recently: I even did the gimmicky thing of seeing it in 3D :) Just a really enjoyable, engrossing film.

No spaceships, sadly...
I'll check that out Theo - spaceships or not. :)

I'm usually a bit slow on the uptake for films - only watched Inglourius Basterds for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'm not usually into Tarrantino (thought Pulp Fiction was dull, and Kill Bill was just way too gratuitous for me) but IB was superb. Great soundtrack, and the tension in Chapter 1 during the SS visit to Lapodite's cottage was masterful.

If folk haven't seen it, check out 'The Lives of Others' on DVD/BD. A German film about the Stasi in the former East Germany.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

How about spaceships, and Alan Rickman? I'm guessing you've probably already seen it, but on the off-chance you haven't try Galaxy Quest. It's a comedy and as well as Alan Rickman there's Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, and you can pick up the (used) DVD on Amazon for £0.01 plus £1.26 p+p

For a non spaceship movie (and a warped sense of humour is definitely necessary for this one) how about Bubba Ho-Tep? I'll give you the Amazon link (same price as above) and let you make up your own mind rather than try to describe it for you.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bubba-Ho-Tep-DV ... B0007OC6YC

Get the 2 disc set, the extras are well worth having, especially the commentary from "Elvis."
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Django unchained is good (A tad gratuitous in the violence dept) No Spaceships..... :cry:
Skyfall is good......No Spaceships...... :cry:
Prometheus is very good.........Spaceships in it...... :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

slinger wrote:How about spaceships, and Alan Rickman? I'm guessing you've probably already seen it, but on the off-chance you haven't try Galaxy Quest. It's a comedy and as well as Alan Rickman there's Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, and you can pick up the (used) DVD on Amazon for £0.01 plus £1.26 p+p
Yup - seen that one, got it on DVD. Great film - wonderfully silly, but with a lot of subtle stuff for the Trekkies amongst us etc. Sigourney Weaver scrubs up pretty well too. :P

Oh, and of course Alan Rickman is superb, as one would expect 'By Grabthar's Hammer' :D

schwantz34

Unread post by schwantz34 »

maybe there are no spaceships, but one of the best movie i've ever seen is :

EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED, not a blockbuster but one of the most lyrical movie i've seen, strongly recommended to everyone

Ps:one of the main carachters is the leadsinger of the band "GOGOL BORDELLO" , Eugene Hutz , the movie is based on the novel by J.S Foer .

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSUOYY4oukc[/BBvideo]

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

The Sleeper - Staring Woody Allen.......Not sure if it features spaceship's but it has a SF theme....Bloody funny, :lol: :clap:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A Serbian Film.

Flawed masterpiece. Highly emotional watching - especially the last 40 minutes. Most memorable film I've watched in the last 12 months. Don't watch it with children.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Tyrannosaur. Gritty British drama.

I also liked "Senna". F1 documentary. And "TT Closer to the Edge". TT documentary.

Amelie. Sweet French film. One to watch with the Mrs.

"Human Centipede" followed by "Human Centipede 2". One of those rare times that I enjoyed the sequel as much as the first film. These are films for people who like dark humour and a realistic touch to their horror.

The Girl With Dragon Tatto trilogy. Nicely shot modern Swedish thrillers.