Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Cheers for that Tel.....Intresting google articles. :guiness;

Anyone know where I can get one. :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I bought a Marantz SR6010 for £480.
I've initially set it up as a 7.0 system. Using EV Sentrys as fronts, a Linn Isobarik as the centre speaker, Saras as rears and Heybrook HB1's as sides.

After watching an Our Brand is Crisis DVD on it my children declared that it was a waste of money. :grin:

We'll be trying it out with some different films and speaker configurations over the next few weeks...

jammy395

Well Linndsay (on paper) that must be the the craziest ss system going..... :lol:

Respect. :guiness;

Try discussing that with yer local 7oaks salesman...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote:I bought a Marantz SR6010 for £480.
I've initially set it up as a 7.0 system. Using EV Sentrys as fronts, a Linn Isobarik as the centre speaker, Saras as rears and Heybrook HB1's as sides.

After watching an Our Brand is Crisis DVD on it my children declared that it was a waste of money. :grin:

We'll be trying it out with some different films and speaker configurations over the next few weeks...
It depends what the frame of reference is for the sound they expect. I guess this has been formed by trips to the cinema. It's a long time since I messed with this sound format but I find it glossy, boomy, but actually a bit soft and lacking detail. Having said that, I keep going back to Danny Elfman's Batman theme and it has never thrilled as much as hearing it at a cinema (those organ pedal notes!)

Plenty of sonic fun to be had, I think.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lindsayt
Nauru

Their frame of reference is the 2.0 system we've been running ever since I bought a projector and a blu ray player a few years ago, consisting of a Creek CAS4040 into EV Sentry III's.

We go to the cinema, on average, once per year. We watch over 100 rented Blu rays and DVD's per year. Plus TV watching.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

terrybooth wrote:
Lindsayt wrote:I bought a Marantz SR6010 for £480.

It depends what the frame of reference is for the sound they expect. I guess this has been formed by trips to the cinema. It's a long time since I messed with this sound format but I find it glossy, boomy, but actually a bit soft and lacking detail. Having said that, I keep going back to Danny Elfman's Batman theme and it has never thrilled as much as hearing it at a cinema (those organ pedal notes!)

Plenty of sonic fun to be had, I think.
yes frame of reference is cinema it sounds so much better than the HiFI dealer stuff even the B&W set up I heard at over £50 K was just that unpleasent loud, it wasnt the nice loud you get at a multiplex.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Moved the Heybook HB1's up by about 5 feet and reconfigured the system as 5.0.2.

Watched The Huntsman - Winter War on blu ray this evening. DTS:X sound track.
Sounded fine. But then I've got nothing to compare it against, so don't know if it would sound better or worse on some other DTS:X AV system.

jammy395

My heart bleeds for ya.......

Silly man.. :guiness;

jammy395