Cube 1s & 3s / Harbeth P3ESR / Usher S520 + ??? Durham

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Cube 1s & 3s / Harbeth P3ESR / Usher S520 + ??? Durham

Unread post by savvypaul »

Shared the first half of my day with 3 top gents and these speakers. Full write-up to follow, but tomorrow...off to Snod's Edge beer festival this evening.

I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

What a nice room to listen to music, 8-) looking forward to the report.
Frank...made me do it.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I can't believe how close those Cubes are to the wall :shock:

Those Neats look lovely too.

Looking forward to the results! :guiness;

savvypaul
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 pm I can't believe how close those Cubes are to the wall :shock:

Those Neats look lovely too.

Looking forward to the results! :guiness;
The 'wall' that the Cubes are near to is dry-lined. The sound and image really snaps into place in that position. If I pull them away from the wall then things starts to soften. Close to wall just seems to be where they 'lock in' to the room.
I am in the hi-fi trade

George Hincapie

Every room is different, it's not a criticism. Mine are much farther away; I just think it's interesting to see photos of other members systems and where they have their Cubes.

savvypaul
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm Every room is different, it's not a criticism. Mine are much farther away; I just think it's interesting to see photos of other members systems and where they have their Cubes.
Absolutely. Not interpreted as a criticism.

Have you tried your Cubes closer to the wall? What happens?
I am in the hi-fi trade

George Hincapie

That's a really good question, I can't remember. I tried them there when I first bought them in accordance with Doc's instructions; I have a feeling there was too much bass so I moved them out, but I am guessing.

I have just bought some new stands for them, so I'll put them together then try and let you know.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Great day yesterday.... top company (thanks Paul, Peter & Trevor) superb luncheon and the music was to die for. Came away with my 'Shazam' full of new sounds.

Thanks to Paul for being a great host, in particular his knowledge and enthusiasm for letting us listen to new material based on our 'likes' and the racing around swapping vinyl (on his knees :grin: ) was a rare skill. I came away having learnt so much.

Till next time........

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Reports

:epopc:

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Many thanks to Paul for his hospitality and a great days entertainment. It was a top day, I came away having had my ears and mind open to some fantastic new sounds. Chris and Peter are really nice guys and certainly know their stuff.

The day started off with Paul's Cube1's. TBH I found it a little intimidating at first, Paul owns some serious high end gear and the 1's are extremely full sounding. Not having heard anything like this before, puts you out of your comfort zone and I had to try and find some context to the sounds. It helped by having the small Neats on next as they are so familiar, I was quite pleased the performance they put out. Both Peter and Paul suggested pulling them away from the back wall by a metre and so and it made a significant difference to the sound, tidying up a mid bass hump and giving the music a fresher, cleaner presentation. I think its fair to say we were all in agreement with this one. Well done the Neat's they are cracking little speakers.

Next up were Peter's Elac's. Now these are as different as you could wish for. It was a this point I thought Paul really knew what to play music wise that brought out what was best in each of the speakers capabilities, to me the Elacs are just a shade too bright and forward, playing some female vocals from London Grammar, the Unthanks etc and they really shone, goosebumps and all that top stuff. I made a note of an album Paul put on by Rachel Sermanni very nice indeed.

Chris bought some Proarc floorstanders and they were given a run out. Sometimes I thought they sounded a touch 'boxed in' again though, Paul was selecting tracks that brought out the best in them and its also worth noting that they are 15 years old. I remember now that my Neats will never be on the end of such a good system so I suppose I have to bear that in mind. The Proarcs give a full powerful presentation and are easy on the ear, never harsh or edgy I could live with these.

One part of the day I was really looking forward to was auditioning the Harberth P3ESR . This was a speaker I was considering at the time before purchasing the Neats. I have to say very disappointing ,they just have no emotion nilch nada. What a relief when Paul swapped them for his Cube 3's. We had music again!! to my ears the 3's are very similar in presentation to the 1's you get more bass with the 1's and I think it was Peter who remarked they sounded effortless. As I said it was great stuff. Top music all day.

Thanks again Paul for the many cups of tea, super sandwiches and great music.
Best Regards
Trevor
These users thanked the author Toontrev for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:30 pm)