HFS at the WAM show

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: HFS at the WAM show

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The biggest problem was the noise leakage in the large rooms, due to their only being a sliding partition between them. The large rooms would probably be OK if the 2 end ones were for systems and the 2 rooms in the middle were used for vinyl sales or left empty.

A few sofas in the big rooms or any other furniture might help cut down on the echoey cave like acoustics in them?

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am They will be eventually, what did you think of the music from them.
Ooops, sorry, missed that question.
Bit difficult to judge really as when we were there you were playing a very stripped back version of the Dubliners Wild Rover which seemed to have little musical content. That said, it was a very enjoyable, foot stampy singalong!
We had planned to return later to get a feel for some other material but just seemed to run out of time.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 am I have requested two room for next year but i would prefer if other members did it, or we do a (or both) co-op rooms. It is good craic, far more fun then trade shows and the Sat evening is like a Dublin Pub, people falling into the room pissed dancing and singing to the music and then somehow falling out of them again.
Gabriel, (my mate), and myself actually discussed the possibility of maybe doing a room next year. He loves his horns and has an eclectic mix of equipment, like a Gates professional TT, and mine you know.
I'd have to re-join Wigwam as I was banned for "being a Dunnce stooge"
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Bloody madness, they really need to sort themselves out over this membership stooopidity, they are harming potential show users.

Anyway you can take one of out HFS rooms so there is no need to join.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Hello,

If anyone is interested?...

Those ‘’BB Cubes’’’ sounded excellent! in their tight space. When I was in there, I think it was ‘ Eric Clapton’ live or unplugged being played. I noticed how the music was pushed out, tall and wide and the instruments were very noticeably spaced out and clear. It drew your ear towards each instrument. I called in again later in the day and ‘’Stink Floyd DSOTM’’ was on. There are a lot of noises making up the music, so lots to focus on. There was more going on filling in the soundstage but instruments were still clear and pinpointed throughout the 3 songs I heard. Not a favourite album of mine, and I was sat off centre, so couldn’t hear it at its best. Yep I really like the BBCubes.

In Ithilstone’s room I had a listen to the £300 and £3000 headphones. The 300 got my vote because it was cheaper by a long shot and sounded fine to me. The increase in volume was more controlled than the expensive headphones, which whacked it up rather quick. I know nowt about headphones by the way. I know nowt about hifi either.

Other rooms I enjoyed…

‘’Audio Al’s. When I walked in I thought, ‘ I’m not going to like theses speakers’ Low n behold, it was a fantastic sound in a little room. Don’t know the make as I’m useless with name, numbers and specs (MS737?). The sound really bounced and strutted along. Had a chat with Audio Al on a second visit, he is a really nice bloke too.

Wizmax and Speedracer’s room. They played me a Bowie track – ‘’Stay’’ I got completely lost in the rhythm, in a small room full of people in a hotel, the sign of a good sound. Besides a Garrard and SP10, I have no idea what else was being used. Sounded great though.

I spent the last 20 mins in Bagawire’s room, listening to some Brazilian Bossa. He was going through his 7 inchers. I now quite like some Bossa! Nice simple setup – Record – phono – Integrated – speakers. Such an easy un-fatiguing sound …Loverley!

Oh yea and Tony_j had some fantastic things going on in his room, wish I could have spent longer to find out, some crazy music and a thoroughly engaging listening.

That’l do.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We kept our door closed because of noise pollution, that just makes rooms push the volume up and up to compete. It was on the latch so you had to push it. We put a do come in sign but I think we lost a lot of visitors. I would say we had half to two/thirds of the number of attendees visit us. Remember from Old Wigwam and AoS there are members who refuse to have anything to do with me and NVA and there were a few of those floating around. That is their loss from their stoooopidity, so childish.

What we were doing with music bamboozled a lot of visitors as it was so different to other rooms, a large wall of music. I deliberately didn't toe in as I wanted that wall of sound as listeners were near field, just one row of chairs, so I wanted a wide semi omni presentation, and IMO it worked well enough, but puzzled lots of people. Those who got it were music people not hi-fi people and some absolutely loved it and were back for more and more. Lots wandering around the speakers tutting and shaking heads and saying these shouldn't work etc, and some just stayed in that mind set and ignored the reality in front of them.

I have said this before if you want to fully understand what Cubes do you have to have them in your system, as the reviews prove. We present the music as part of the room and people are not used to that, so many rooms at the show with sound traps and absorbers etc, most with point and squirt speakers and fighting the room.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I did notice a lone NVA box in someone's room but can't remember who's it was. Looked like a phono stage or small power amp. Couldn't see any cables so not sure it was in use. I was going to ask about it but got way-laid as usual then forgot.
By the way Doc, your room does appear in the Wam photos.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes I know it is only AoS who are deliberately censoring any mention or pic of us.

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

zebbo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 am I did notice a lone NVA box in someone's room but can't remember who's it was. Looked like a phono stage or small power amp. Couldn't see any cables so not sure it was in use. I was going to ask about it but got way-laid as usual then forgot.
By the way Doc, your room does appear in the Wam photos.
I had a little a20 for back up... it's a nice little amp and works well with my speakers..

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

Lindsayt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 pm The biggest problem was the noise leakage in the large rooms, due to their only being a sliding partition between them. The large rooms would probably be OK if the 2 end ones were for systems and the 2 rooms in the middle were used for vinyl sales or left empty.

A few sofas in the big rooms or any other furniture might help cut down on the echoey cave like acoustics in them?
That's a fair point Lindsay.. it was good to see you