HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

Re: HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I intend going to the postponed 2020 show / the 2021 October Wam show as a visitor.

I will not be offering to exhibit - as things stand.

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum »

I think I will make the effort, it would be a shame to pass up the chance after everything that's gone on
Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter, Rega Planar 8 with Apheta 3, LDA MCJ3 phono, NVA P90 SA MK2, FW Aleph J mono blocks, Cambridge Audio CXC, Denafrips Ares2 DAC, Meridian 204 FM tuner, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Cubix MMXXI & LS6

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:47 pm I think I will make the effort, it would be a shame to pass up the chance after everything that's gone on
You're going to exhibit?
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:39 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Much ado about nothing. Please excuse me but shows like this (ie not retail) are all about look at me, look at me, how much I think I know and how good my system is. Pathetic immature boy behaviour. Fooking grow up. You may guess by now I am not impressed by such willy waving and constant one upmanship and having to have constant back slapping. Who are you trying to impress?

I tried not to post this but I have had enough. Get a life.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
antonio66 (Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:55 am) • Bencat57 (Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:56 am)
DIY inspired by Richard "The Doc" Dunn RIP

savvypaul
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:55 pm Much ado about nothing. Please excuse me but shows like this (ie not retail) are all about look at me, look at me, how much I think I know and how good my system is. Pathetic immature boy behaviour. Fooking grow up. You may guess by now I am not impressed by such willy waving and constant one upmanship and having to have constant back slapping. Who are you trying to impress?

I think that's unfair, mate. There may be a tiny bit of that goes on, but it's certainly not what the show is all about. The vast majority of those who exhibit are lifelong enthusiasts and the systems on show are often beyond the norm for reasons of invention and resourcefulness rather than how much money is being spent. It's a far more interesting event than most trade shows.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

karatestu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:55 pm Much ado about nothing. Please excuse me but shows like this (ie not retail) are all about look at me, look at me, how much I think I know and how good my system is. Pathetic immature boy behaviour. Fooking grow up. You may guess by now I am not impressed by such willy waving and constant one upmanship and having to have constant back slapping. Who are you trying to impress?

I see it, and have always seen it as a great day out.

One story told about the origination of the Wam show, was that after trade shows, it was common for visitors to comment on the generally poor sound at these shows. To which one trade member said "If you think it's so easy go ahead and try doing it yourselves."
So they did.

I think that the general average level of the sound quality and inparticular the sound quality for the amount spent, is better at enthusiast shows than trade shows.

And for that alone, the Wam show plus other enthusiast events, such as Owston are well worth their place in the calendar.

They are also interesting exercises in human psychology.

When it comes to help in deciding what audio equipment to buy, the Wam show is admittedly of limited use. Probably more of use to people just getting into hi-fi. Mainly as an eye opener that you can get good sound for affordable amounts by not sticking to the buy new from dealers paradigm.

savvypaul
Great Britain

However...

Having seen the way that Lindsay and myself have been abused at The WAM today for daring to make suggestions about the show, I have decided that I will not exhibit or attend, nor will HFS make any other financial contribution.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

savvypaul wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:31 pm However...

Having seen the way that Lindsay and myself have been abused at The WAM today for daring to make suggestions about the show, I have decided that I will not exhibit or attend, nor will HFS make any other financial contribution.
The discussion over on the Wam this week-end https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... 21/page/5/ has been an interesting exercise in psychology.

I will freely admit that I am highly biased towards the Wam show. Because of all the visits I've made there and because of the amount of good will built up by James Palmer allowing me to exhibit 3 times over the course of 5 years at nominal cost.

And even though I've been on the receiving end of a snobby ad hominem comment about me posting only 400 times in 12 years on the Wam, I'm still intending to attend as a visitor this year.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:04 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:31 pm However...

The discussion over on the Wam this week-end https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... 21/page/5/ has been an interesting exercise in psychology.

I will freely admit that I am highly biased towards the Wam show. Because of all the visits I've made there and because of the amount of good will built up by James Palmer allowing me to exhibit 3 times over the course of 5 years at nominal cost.

And even though I've been on the receiving end of a snobby ad hominem comment about me posting only 400 times in 12 years on the Wam, I'm still intending to attend as a visitor this year.
It takes a lot of doing for me to attend. 500 mile round trip, hotel accommodation, dog sitter for the weekend. I might feel different nearer the time, but right now I can live without the petty minded.
I am in the hi-fi trade

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Sincere apologies from me. I had a very hard day yesterday and got completely drunk. I am certainly not thinking straight and getting angry at minor irritants that would usually make my eyes roll at the most.

I am going to have a week off from posting on hifi forums (and drinking). Hope I feel better soon. Happy Easter.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:51 am)
DIY inspired by Richard "The Doc" Dunn RIP