HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

Re: HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 am Sincere apologies from me. I had a very hard day yesterday and got completely drunk. I am certainly not thinking straight and getting angry at minor irritants that would usually make my eyes roll at the most.

I am going to have a week off from posting on hifi forums (and drinking). Hope I feel better soon. Happy Easter.
No need to apologise. Your previous post in this thread was a valid point of view.

It's perfectly fine to have different views on events like the Wam show.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

We've also been missing Jammy-style, alcohol-fuelled meltdowns on here.

Livens the place up a bit. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

NVA: P50sa - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
DAC: Denafrips Ares II CD: Cambridge CXC
Digits: Intel Core i7 fanless silent PC + Volumio
USB: Oehlbach XXL Masterclock + DH Labs Mirage
Ethernet: Silent Angel Bonn N8 + AQ Cinnamon
I/C: DH Labs Air Matrix Cans: AQ NightHawk

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Lovely rant and more than a hint of truth about it . As I will be exhibiting and will be taking my system there is a feeling of dread that you will set it up and tune it to what you believe to be a good or even great sound . Then the hoards come in sit down for about thirty seconds and leave muttering . Even worse they sit next to you and politely tell you what is wrong with your system .

At this point it can go two ways , you run in to your bathroom for a cry come back to the room and take your system apart and go home devastated . Or take a nice large glug of the nice Rioja you have bought yourself and smile . Then get back to listening to the music .

While the arrogance of showing off what you have and listen to is a small part of having a room for me this is far outweighed by meeting old friends hearing equipment I know nothing about , hearing music i knew nothing about and frankly not having to apologise for talking about either music or equipment . Then there is getting drunk , having my leg pulled for being pompous and having my shirt pointed to be laughed at . Then there is the help , the loan of the cable you were sure you brought , The offer to borrow equipment as you seem to have blown yours up .

I honestly do see your view and know that there is some truth but over the years this show has evolved in to something else and for me one of my most anticipated and enjoyable weekends of any year.

Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

Bencat57 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:08 am Lovely rant and more than a hint of truth about it . As I will be exhibiting and will be taking my system there is a feeling of dread that you will set it up and tune it to what you believe to be a good or even great sound . Then the hoards come in sit down for about thirty seconds and leave muttering . Even worse they sit next to you and politely tell you what is wrong with your system .

At this point it can go two ways , you run in to your bathroom for a cry come back to the room and take your system apart and go home devastated . Or take a nice large glug of the nice Rioja you have bought yourself and smile . Then get back to listening to the music .

While the arrogance of showing off what you have and listen to is a small part of having a room for me this is far outweighed by meeting old friends hearing equipment I know nothing about , hearing music i knew nothing about and frankly not having to apologise for talking about either music or equipment . Then there is getting drunk , having my leg pulled for being pompous and having my shirt pointed to be laughed at . Then there is the help , the loan of the cable you were sure you brought , The offer to borrow equipment as you seem to have blown yours up .

I honestly do see your view and know that there is some truth but over the years this show has evolved in to something else and for me one of my most anticipated and enjoyable weekends of any year.
This is where one of the experiments in human psychology comes in.

Forum enemies will enter your room, and as you say listen to it standing up, or at best sit in the first chair that becomes available.

And then at some point in the future roast your system on a hi-fi forum.

Friends are more likely to give your system a glowing report.

For the neutral visitors a lot depends on the volume, music being played, how flattering the recording is and how familiar the recording is to them.
Optimum for impressing seems to be one of the loudest or joint loudest at the show, dark green DR rating audiophile recording, something they've never heard before.

Room acoustics for the given system also count for a lot. The Butler's pantry at Scalford was a prime example of a challenging room, which was a bit annoying as with a load of furniture in it, it probably would have been an acoustically good room.

Also the dining chairs do some speakers no favours. Sofas would be better - or even sitting on the floor, Japanese style.
When visiting rooms I will sometimes move around and slouch right down in the chairs, or sit on the floor.

I don't like to publicly air my impressions of the systems at Scalford / Kegworth. Because there are too many variables. And because if you say rooms X, Y and Z sounded really good, it may be unfair and disheartening to the exhibitors in rooms A, B and C whose systems may sound better than X, Y and Z at home.

I know that I've read a load of complete and utter bollocks on my systems that I've exhibited
Such as different people saying opposite things about the system eg lean in the bass / overblown bass. With the difference being down to the recording that was being played when they were in the room - eg INXS vs Dire Straits first album - combined possibly with where their ears were in the room. Or one visitor (whose system that he was exhibiting was being played about 10dbs louder than mine) saying that my system sounded pleasant enough but lacking in bite. :roll:
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
Bencat57 (Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:51 am) • savvypaul (Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am)

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Agreed it is difficult and one of things I try to be able to encourage is for people to bring their own music on CD or fie so that they can play something they are familiar with and enjoy then they have at least a starting point . One of the good things about Kegworth is that the rooms are pretty similar and it is not that difficult to get at least most equipment in and working well . After that it comes down to taste .
I tend to make comments about the rooms i enjoyed and nothing about the rooms I did not , this is more how i was brought up rather me being honest but I still find it hard to make judgements without being over critical so just dont .

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum »

If I can make it and I hope I can it will be my first time and I will go with an open mind, hoping to see and hear something I was not expecting. If there are a few "look at me smart arses" that won't trouble me one bit because let's be honest you get those at any show of any size including trade shows where the odd stand holder is not interested unless in you or your opinion unless your system cost really silly money. A few eccentric bods will for me add to the fun so fingers crossed I do get to go and enjoy it
These users thanked the author nilsatisnisioptimum for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:38 am)
Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter, Rega Planar 8 with Apheta 3, LDA MCJ3 phono, NVA P90 SA MK2, FW Aleph J mono blocks, Cambridge Audio CXC, Denafrips Ares2 DAC, Meridian 204 FM tuner, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Cubix MMXXI & LS6

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 am Sincere apologies from me. I had a very hard day yesterday and got completely drunk. I am certainly not thinking straight and getting angry at minor irritants that would usually make my eyes roll at the most.

I am going to have a week off from posting on hifi forums (and drinking). Hope I feel better soon. Happy Easter.
I kinda agreed with your previous post, didn't say so, thought you could take the flak. ;)
I do think Owston is more real, and as far as I can see being helpful to other diy'ers.

Come to think of it, who the bloody hell wants to go to hifi shows, mostly full of sad old b------s, except for me that is. :grin:

No need to stop posting Stu, just cut down on the drinking, good luck.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 am) • Lindsayt (Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:38 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

antonio66 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:21 am

I kinda agreed with your previous post, didn't say so, thought you could take the flak. ;)
I do think Owston is more real, and as far as I can see being helpful to other diy'ers.

Come to think of it, who the bloody hell wants to go to hifi shows, mostly full of sad old b------s, except for me that is. :grin:

No need to stop posting Stu, just cut down on the drinking, good luck.
I also tended to agree with the initial post. There is a good song called "What sober cannot say". :lol: I have never attended a hifi show. Bristol is the only one near me, but nothing like the Wam show. Someone I used to work with went to the Bristol show once. It does not interest me, but if Kegworth was as close I would consider. No way would I exhibit, the though of assambling and disassembling everything. :angry-screaming: Besides, from what I have read, Cubes and hotel rooms do not mix.
System NVA BMU, Cisco 2960G &; 2940, NA Eno, Sonore MicroRendu/MCRU PS, AQ JB, ifi iPurifier 3, Chord Mscaler, Chord Qutest/MCRU PS, NVA P90SA Mk2, NVA A80s Mk3, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS, DH Labs Mirage USB/Silver Sonic BNC & Cat 8 ethernet.
HP Grado SR 325e, Chord Mojo, AQ Carbon.
Analogue Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1.
Second System Topping E30, NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, AQ Carbon.
Out Beyerdynamic Avenha, AQ DF Red.

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
VATICAN_CITY

CN211276 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 am ... Besides, from what I have read, Cubes and hotel rooms do not mix.
In my experience, cubes and hotel bedrooms get along just fine.

What doesn't mix is forum enemies and visits to your room when exhibiting.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Most 'standard' hotel rooms are fine for Cubes. The only time I've heard them have difficulty is in very large rooms (think 30 person
meeting room rather than a large front room) such as the basement room at MCRU's old premises. I believe they also struggled with the very high ceilings (and large room) at Scalford, one year.

If everyone had Lindsay's intelligent approach to assessing sound at shows, then doing shows would be a pleasure.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/