My latest obsession

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: My latest obsession

Unread post by karatestu »

What to do if you think the band sucks

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
slinger (Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:35 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Welcome back Stu.

I'd shoot the sound guy personally.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

karatestu
Great Britain

I just realised after a visit to Gear 4 Music in York that Premier Drums are back producing drums again (properly) :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: . It's 100 years since the company began. It's probably all made in Taiwan these days though :cry:

Thank of all that lovely music with Premied Drums on it - The Who, The Jam, Blonde, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Buzzcocks, Rage against the machine and many more.

This discovery made my day although I only seem to drool over the 70's, 80's and 90's output. If I were a rich man then I'd have a shed full.
slinger (Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:35 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Is it not like leek or Lenco returning but u find out their turntables have usb / Bluetooth out😂
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It seems that Gear4Music bought the name, and (according to the website) "The Premier brand was acquired by Gear4music in 2021. Since then, a dedicated and passionate team have been assembled with the sole focus of creating products that reflect Premier’s long-standing values.

This team includes people who have been part of Premier’s history for several decades and who understand the brand’s DNA and legacy.
"

They don't hold spare of the old stuff though and pretty much divorce themselves from it.

Having said that, their new "Della-Porta 100 limited edition 14"x5" snare," (Only 100 pieces made" is "Handmade in the UK".

Their HQ is now in Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire.

https://www.gear4music.com/blog/premier-drums-heritage/

https://www.premier-percussion.com/about/
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:31 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Latteman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:14 pm Is it not like leek or Lenco returning but u find out their turntables have usb / Bluetooth out😂
I’m not sure I could cope with a drum with a USB output.

karatestu
Great Britain

I have a 90's Premier Genista kit, made in Leicester before things started to go down hill. It's made of birch and is my favourite, sounds bloody awesome. You could say I am a bit of a Premier fanny boy as I also have a Premier 2001 snare from the 70's with the famous parallel action and a 15" x 13" Premier Elite tom from the 70's (top of the range back then).

You don't come across 15" toms very often and I am glad I snapped it up cheap a couple of years ago. The workmanship is outstanding and it sounds awesome, probably the best sounding drum I own. My Genista kit is a fusion kit with 10", 12" & 14" Tom's and 20" bass drum. There is only so low you can tune a 14" and this one is unfortunately not that happy at low tunings. I have tried to find a bigger matching tom but with no success.

So I resorted to buying the 15" Elite even though the lugs are different and somebody had refinished it in white. I got bored of my Pearl Export 22", 12", 14", 16", 18" behemoth. I was fooling myself that it actually cut the mustard. The tone wood is cheap Philippine mahogany (not the good mahogany) , is really soft and sounds like shite compared to the birch shells of the Genista and my Elite 15" tom.

I decided to use the 15" on the end of my Genista. There is something just so right about this drum and its size. It's so controlled for a bigger tom, can be tuned a lot lower than a 14" but doesn't have the annoying boing of a 16" floor tom. I have found my perfect big tom.

It's the wrong the colour though. So as my Genista is green I decided to cover it temporarily with some green velour- fluffy covering you find on card tables. No one will notice.

After I stripped the white wrap I could see the wood underneath and it looks really good and the grain pattern of the birch looks very similar to the grain of the birch on the genista. So the plan is to find a stain as near as I can to the green of the genista and then lacquer it. The lugs won't match but there's not much I can do about that.

I have gone back to a four piece kit - 12" & 15" toms, 20" bass and 14" x 5.5" birch Premier 2001 snare. I got bored of having two toms up high and then two floor toms. Now i can get the ride cymbal closer in and having fewer drums makes you be more creative with what you have to work with. I have spare matching Genista 10" & 14" toms if I get bored with this.

Still using my home made aluminum rack but now with only two horizontal beams arranged in a triangle. It is clamped to the hihat stand which acts as one of the legs - the hihat stand had its tripod legs removed years ago. The rack is very sturdy even with only three legs.

I need to save a bit of the story for another time.
slinger (Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:26 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE