Marantz SA-7S1

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Marantz SA-7S1

Unread post by southall-1998 »

If I didn't have the Sony. I'd have bought this! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Mara ... 5b301f8fb9

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Marantz SA-7S1

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

So you like loads of ultra sonic mush over 20k then Shane? Don't believe the hype or listen with your eyes. SA-CD has hf noise issues that rarely come out in reviews it seems, but did a little deeper and you discover it's not all roses... That Sony is almost certainly better on CD reproduction.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:So you like loads of ultra sonic mush over 20k then Shane? Don't believe the hype or listen with your eyes. SA-CD has hf noise issues that rarely come out in reviews it seems, but did a little deeper and you discover it's not all roses... That Sony is almost certainly better on CD reproduction.
Just to remind you, Sir. My CD Player, is the Sony CDP-X777ES. Bought it from the Doc earlier this year. Lovely CD Player!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

That's why I posted what I did.

That Sony you have is one of the finest stand-alone players EVER made, one of a handful of decent accurate sounding machines that can barely be improved upon apart from reducing costs without sacrificing too much of the sonics, although the DAC the Doc used fleshed the sound out even further (you'd never know unless in an A-B comparison though ime). I don't trust Marantz to do a decent truthful job, despite owning another one of the aforementioned 'handful' CD players myself, based on a Philips/Marantz donor chassis and as for that 'KI' chappie, he makes a good charismatic figurehead for the audiophools, but he plays no real part in the design of these things he's admitted in interviews, but read these interviews with him and speak to others more knowledgeable than I in the industry and you realise why he's really there working for them...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

I'm a big and fairly strong guy. Sometimes I ''struggle'' to carry my Sony CD Player :o

Just Imagine if these Sony's were new today....The price!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Not daft unless they take advantage of the criminal prices at the mo for the so called high end. In the past Sony always priced fairly, fairly doesn't exist now it is only rip-off - apart from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

£5k 555 to £10k 777 I would say. If they join the rip-of then the 777 would be over £30k.

southall-1998
Wales

I've seen inside pics of modern CD Players costing nearly £12k. Some of them are practically empty inside, with shitty small transformers :o :x

It's very hard going back to other CD Players now. The Sony sounds musical and is wonderfully built.

If I had to downgrade. The only entry level CD Player I'd have back is the Rega Planet Or Linn Mimik.

Maybe if I win the lottery someday. I wouldn't mind trying one of those big heavy Accuphase CD Players. But I'm capable of buying a Rega Isis!

S,
Shane Lonergan.

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I don't trust Marantz to do a decent truthful job...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The marantz as a large torrodial transformer encased in copper .

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

...and Ken Ishiwata's been nowhere near it, otherwise it would have been the SA-7S1 Ki . :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X