Is this worth buying

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
karatestu
Great Britain

Is this worth buying

Unread post by karatestu »

Rega planar 2 (serviced) with r200 arm fettled by J7 ? What's it worth ?

Fanx
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Re: Is this worth buying

Unread post by Alfi »

It's worth what you are prepared tp pay for it Stu. If it's well cared for aesthetically, electrically and mechanically and you like it go for it - make an offer. The R200 is a 16g effective mass arm that will handle a good range of carts and if J7 has been involved in its care then I'd personally go for it. Many prefer the Acos manufactured arms than Rega's pressure die cast ones. Doc included, incidentally Doc was right about the quality of some castings that Rega covered up with heavy paint. It's why the RB1000 was more expensive, not just because of tighter toleranced bearings but arm tubes that were not up to scratch went to lower grade models or else binned.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks for the advice Alfi. Only one bid at £100 and only a few hours left. No cartridge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Re ... =mobile

I don't need another TT. Why am i even looking . It is at the most 5 miles from my house (could be round the corner for all i know) and pick up only.
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Stu - One word - DON'T!

Mind you, the R200 on its own and properly serviced is worth a ton (a really shitty bearing-bodged one sold earlier this year for £73 and with external wiring missing too)

I can send an essay by PM if you like, but knowing this era of Regas as well as I do, they're feedback prone, the 2 is scrappy no matter what state of tune the R200 is in compared to a 3 in any form and the incorrect absolute speed and general crudeness of the old cord belt drive coupled with inadequate (by today's standards) motor supply and suspension, will probably drive you bonkers in a very short time. A current Planar 1 is a far superior deck and that's not really saying much... (I spent some time with a '1' not long ago and it's seriously not bad at all for £250 or so with Carbon cartridge, which can easily be upgraded with a VM95 whatever as long as you have a stylus force gauge)

if you want a practical upgrade project, then fair do's - and the R200 can 'sound' quite nice on other decks, especially if the wiring and bearings have been reset by Johnnie, but I feel things have moved on rather and what was ok for flat earthers in the late 70's to early 80's, isn't so hot today apart from as a collectors item...

You'll probably totally ignore me and buy it now, but just so's you know what you're getting...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I see the TT plinth needs a little TLC but it's worth a punt even for the arm itself. You Never know it'll probably be better than an LP12 with Sole sub and "In Soles" if you listen to some prejudiced individuals, :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I can see where Dave is coming from Stu. Your choice m8!

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The arm will work on a wide range of tables, with a wide range of cartridges. Buy the arm then sell the deck, separately?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:30 pm I see the TT plinth needs a little TLC but it's worth a punt even for the arm itself. You Never know it'll probably be better than an LP12 with Sole sub and "In Soles" if you listen to some prejudiced individuals, :lol:

Alfi.
It's the internet.

People are allowed to think what they like. They are allowed to be wrong. They are even allowed to be biased.

You can't change it, so let your product do the talking...and stay away from the name calling.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:50 pm
Alfi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:30 pm I see the TT plinth needs a little TLC but it's worth a punt even for the arm itself. You Never know it'll probably be better than an LP12 with Sole sub and "In Soles" if you listen to some prejudiced individuals, :lol:

Alfi.
It's the internet.

People are allowed to think what they like. They are allowed to be wrong. They are even allowed to be biased.

You can't change it, so let your product do the talking...and stay away from the name calling.
So who have I called names? Or is somebody who is complicit complaining?
I am in the hi-fi trade.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:11 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Alfi.
It's the internet.

So who have I called names? Or is somebody who is complicit complaining?
None, as far as I know.

Who is complicit?
I am in the hi-fi trade