ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Docfoster
Wales

Re: ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 am Have you tried remagnetising your Tannoy drivers, Docfoster?

to see if that restores the channel balance?
I haven't.
I did email Lockwood to see if they could advise on / offer remagnetiseing. But haven't heard back.

Also I'm wondering whether the greater roll-off of HF on the one channel could be caused by demagnetisation? Maybe all frequencies would be effected? I can only guess though. I'm not physicist.
Some rummaging around on the net has uncovered several other people with similar problems, and some suggestion that Tannoy units of a certain vintage are simply not very well matched.

It is something I'd be willing to give a go tho. Depending on cost. Do you know anywhere else reputable that offers it?
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The remagnetising thing. Great Plains Audio in the states offer it. They are highly reputable.

I'd welcome suggestions from anyone else on a UK based remagnetising service.

We may be looking at someone that does this for pro speakers?