ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
savvypaul
Great Britain

ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Unread post by savvypaul »

May be of interest for an interesting project...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altec-Lansin ... 4195526206
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Docfoster
Wales

Re: ALTEC LANSING 288-16K HORNS

Unread post by Docfoster »

Nice!
Watching.
Tho I fear it will go up quite a bit!
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Sold for £580, plus £80 shipping.

Not a low enough price for me to buy them.

They will be good drivers and horns, but I beleive there are others of a similar ilk that can be had for less... ...with patience...
...just as well I'm not in any hurry...
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Docfoster (Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am)

Docfoster
Wales

Lindsay I was just about to comment on this having checked-in on the closing bid.
I've never heard them, so don't know if they're worth that.
The price of classic speakers generally seems to have rocketed in recent years!

HF horns have peaked my interest though. I really like the HF unit in the Tannoy 295/8 speakers I've recently been playing around with. I know they're not conventional horns, but from my limited understanding they are in principle the same. Really captivating dynamics. Also they can cross over at 1000Hz which is much lower than a dome would conventionally be. I think they handle the 1-3kHz range better than a midrange cone. I've just bought a pair of Monacor SP-310CX which are, in essence, a present day homage to the 295 model. A 10 inch dual concentric with a compression driver using the bass driver's geometry as a horn. One key difference is that the Monacors are designed to work in smaller ported cabintets, but let's see how they sound.

These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:42 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

Edit...
...It's possible they'll fit physically in the sealed cabinets I built for the Tannoy 295/8 drivers. If so, that'll be a useful first try-out if only to see how the Monacors respond to the 1kHz crossover. Their repsonse curve suggests it could be OK. Monacor recommend 1.8kHz, but I think that may be for power handling reasons. The drivers are rated to 400 watts, which is way more than I'll need, so giving the HF units a bit more of the lifting to do will probably be fine from my 20 watt SECA amp!

Lindsayt
Nauru

Whilst searching for this thread to update the selling price of the 288's, I came across these gems of knowledge from Richard from 2016:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47974&p=139933&hilit=altec#p139933

He generally didn't have a high regard for Tannoys.
Most Tannoys I've heard haven't been my cup of tea either.

Altec and JBL made some great drivers in their heydey.

It's a shame most of the reasonable deals on them are from American sellers, with associated shipping and import duty costs.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 pm)

TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher »

I’ve listened to the Monaco SP-310CX in both a baffle design and fitted in a bass reflex box. They are not for me, but then I don’t like Tannoy dual concentrics either so that might be the thing. I do know others who absolutely rave about them.

Here is a couple for fairly detailed threads on the speakers I listened to.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=7076

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=7269

Docfoster
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:40 pm Whilst searching for this thread to update the selling price of the 288's, I came across these gems of knowledge from Richard from 2016:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47974&p=139933&hilit=altec#p139933

He generally didn't have a high regard for Tannoys.
Most Tannoys I've heard haven't been my cup of tea either.

Altec and JBL made some great drivers in their heydey.

It's a shame most of the reasonable deals on them are from American sellers, with associated shipping and import duty costs.
Crikey, please don’t paint me as the Tannoy-man! I haven’t had much experience beyond the specific units I have in my house. I’m advocating only for my own sense of surprise at how much I’m enjoying what the specific HF drivers in the units I have are doing. More generally, and only In theory, I’m sceptical about using a 12 or 15 inch driver in a 2 way speaker. So I’d be interested to hear for myself how well larger Tannoys get on with this.

Yes! Altec and JBL...I shall add them to my list. :-)

Thanks for the link. Richard and I certainly shared some things in what we wanted to hear from loudspeakers. Indeed, I think I was his first customer when he started producing the new Cube 1. Great speakers! I enjoyed them for many years. But, I also think Richard and I had some differences in what we wanted speakers to sound like. When I listened to Richard's own setting-up of the Cubes, both in his own home and at a show, he placed the Cubes far closer to the rear wall than was optimal for my ears. Much to my wife’s dismay I generally prefer speakers pulled way into the room. I like the clarity this gives to the sound. It may be that the compression driver >1000Hz in the Tannoys is pressing the same (or similar) button for me.
I should probably just jump to using midrange and HF horns. But baby steps, baby steps…

Docfoster
Wales

TroutFisher wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 pm I’ve listened to the Monaco SP-310CX in both a baffle design and fitted in a bass reflex box. They are not for me, but then I don’t like Tannoy dual concentrics either so that might be the thing. I do know others who absolutely rave about them.

Here is a couple for fairly detailed threads on the speakers I listened to.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=7076

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=7269
There is certainly the possibility that I’ll dislike the Monacors…Only one way to find out!

Thanks for the links. I had read the one about the ported cabinet build. It was one of the sources that gave me the confidence that the Monacors are worth my trying. I hadn’t read the OB one...Especially interesting was his use of a large driver to fill out the low end. This is one of my longer term plans (though not in OB).

The thing I am liking about the specific Tannoys I’m using is the compression driver >1000Hz. I will try to replicate that with the Monacors.
Either inherently, or through age, the old Tannoy units I have are not well matched, hence my motivation to try to achieve a more symmetrical sound with affordable new drivers. The cabinets I’m going to build for the Monacors will be around 30L, so smaller than the ported ones you heard. Maybe you’ll like mine. 😉

Lindsayt
Nauru

Have you tried remagnetising your Tannoy drivers, Docfoster?

to see if that restores the channel balance?