Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

making the stands intergral is a limiting factor. As savvy says you've essentially made a floor stander. but it is therefore larger without the size of the cabinet being a factor. it is more difficult to build solid and you lose the ability to experiment with the interface. accept for asethectics I can see no good reason

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am making the stands intergral is a limiting factor. As savvy says you've essentially made a floor stander. but it is therefore larger without the size of the cabinet being a factor. it is more difficult to build solid and you lose the ability to experiment with the interface. accept for asethectics I can see no good reason
Good points.

The aesthetics is what was driving that particular idea. I haven't decided anything yet.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am making the stands intergral is a limiting factor. As savvy says you've essentially made a floor stander. but it is therefore larger without the size of the cabinet being a factor. it is more difficult to build solid and you lose the ability to experiment with the interface. accept for asethectics I can see no good reason
Good points.

The aesthetics is what was driving that particular idea. I haven't decided anything yet.
One dealer told me to do the same with the Cubes - "it will look prettier and you can double the price".
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 pm
karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Good points.

One dealer told me to do the same with the Cubes - "it will look prettier and you can double the price".
They must sound twice as good then with integral legs :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I have been sat at my isolation inspiration station and found this. Imagine this is a cube speaker. Nice.

https://mangowoodfurniture.co.uk/sol ... ian-legs/
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Going back to the integral stands idea, here is a little sketch to show what I have been thinking about. It is to scale except the length of panel between the two legs has been reduced so it would fit on an A4 page.

So, 18mm birch ply is mitre jointed on all four vertical corners. I found a 45 deg chamfer V groove router cutter bit which has a diameter of 51 mm. If that is used on a clamped 50.8mm round pine dowel at the right depth then it will remove a quadrant of the pole for the height of the cabinet. After that the dowels can remain round as they turn in to legs.

There will be a fair bit of surface area for glue but I would probably also use screws through the internal mitred corners of the cabinet in to the 25 mm of dowel that remains. Would that be strong enough ? Not sure what else could be done to strengthen that area.

Not sure what to do with the top and bottom baffles in this design yet :think: I could mitre them as well but maybe the visible ply layers on the end would look good as a strip all the way around the top and bottom edges of the main enclosure.

Sounds like I am making things difficult for myself here but as I said I don't want it to look like a boring box. Showed my designs to my wife and she said it looked like an alien :lol: :lol: :lol: Probably because of the little tweeter pod above the main cab. She said as long as it was made mostly of (attractive) wood she wasn't bothered :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Here's another similar design and happens to be the one my wife said looked like an alien :think: The angled legs and tweeter pod with forward facing tweeter that looks like any eye was probably to blame for that :lol:

This one is different as it doesn't have legs which form the corners and has largish round overs on four corners. I thought about using 5 mm bendy ply in three or four layers for this but not sure . I borrowed the round corner look from the mango furniture I linked to earlier. The legs would be just ordinary tapered furniture legs that screw in to 10 degree angled metal brackets attached to the bottom baffle.

The only thing I haven't looked in to with these brackets is how big they are and would there still be enough room for a down firing 6.5 " mid bass in the middle. I went for angled because as the corners are rounded over you can't get any legs right in to the corners and so the whole thing would not be quite as steady on it's feet (don't want them toppled :naughty: ).
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

I can recommend "gorilla glue" for the V groove in your first diagram. expands "slightly" and is very strong so shouldn't be any need for extra screws. Mind you belts and braces at this stage couldn't do any harm, just my opinion. I think as you say the laminations of ply for me would be a plus. Think you got it right, don't think it will ever look like a "boring box" and if it does I'm sure it will sound nothing like one :epopc:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:59 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:41 pm I can recommend "gorilla glue" for the V groove in your first diagram. expands "slightly" and is very strong so shouldn't be any need for extra screws. Mind you belts and braces at this stage couldn't do any harm, just my opinion. I think as you say the laminations of ply for me would be a plus. Think you got it right, don't think it will ever look like a "boring box" and if it does I'm sure it will sound nothing like one :epopc:
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Belt & braces indeed but I don't think screws will do any harm as well. I can't think of any joinery joints I could do with that area apart from maybe drilling and gluing 6 mm dowels in ?

Indeed, there is no way this is going to be a boring box by the way it is going so far. I just don't want it to look daft either but maybe it always will with a rounded corner giant dice full of tweeters sat on top :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE