Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

Unread post by karatestu »

A (crap) artist's impression of what I am creating. I hope it shows ok. The proportions are all wrong, it should look a bit taller than that relative to the other dimensions.

You can't see the down firing drivers (two of them). Amongst that are two 30 cm cubes (26 cm3 internally) which are totally separate. I am going to create the two enclosed sides of the upper and lower slots / gaps with solid wood or stacked L pieces of baltic birch although that may be too expensive. What ever I make that part with there will be a continuous sheet of Baltic Birch ply for the front, back and two sides so It won't be seen especially as I will be putting a grille in the gaps.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Faffing about with bits of foam in the gap I currently have between the old upper cabs and a sheet of 6 mm aluminum.

It's really interesting the effect this has. I tried it first blocking both open sides and listened. Then just the in facing side and now just the forward facing side.

Obviously they all sound different. Well why would I want to do this ? Why not. A lot of things are discovered by accident as it were and convention has no place here :naughty: No comments on the differences just yet as I haven't listened long enough. I may prefer it with no foam anyway :roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Pics not showing in chrome for me but are with MS edge. WTF ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is hideing the pics so I don't comment.🤣

karatestu
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm Is hideing the pics so I don't comment.🤣
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Buggered if I know what the problem is. It's just chrome that hides them for me. Other browsers seem to show them. Puzzled.

I put the pics up especially for you and Tomasz - he loves to see my diy works of art. Your comments are very welcome.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Ordinaryman (Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:56 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

keep going, few do. Whilst I understand little of this madness, the enthusiasm and persistence is addictive. The man would be happy :guiness; and by the way a router whatever the size does less damage than a chainsaw 8-)
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:10 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Had to open an Imgur account. See if this works in Chrome. Bloody chrome :angry-steamingears:

DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

There must be a problem where I was originally hosting them :angry-fire:

So looks like I'm a Imgur fan boy from now on. Flickr wouldn't allow me to create an account :roll: . Fascists .

I will go back and repair those pics upstream.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 pm keep going, few do. Whilst I understand little of this madness, the enthusiasm and persistence is addictive. The man would be happy :guiness; and by the way a router whatever the size does less damage than a chainsaw 8-)
Thanks. I often hope that Doc would have been amused with my attempts at designing a speaker :lol: He would have given me several roasting's along the way I am sure. Well, I am now back at sealed boxed enclosures with non of this open backed or aperiodic nonsense :lol:

Feels like I have been going through this process for ever, forever changing things and trying little twists and turns. To be honest I did not know too much about speaker design when I started this over three years ago, still don't :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might get there in the end
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

All I will say - currently--is the foam will attenuate certain frequencies. Whether that's good or bad only you will know.

You have to find was best for you. I'm loving a cap and a inductor on my midrange. .