DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by karatestu »

Yeah there are a few power supplies :dance: But if I use all EI frame transformers (which is the aim) there is not a huge surge of current at switch on like there is with toroidal. Another advantage of using EI transformers. My RCD used to trip when I turned everything on but that doesn't happen anymore. It used to be ok second time as the capacitors had got a bit of charge in them by then.

Quite an undertaking I know but it will be worth it. The aims are

1) Have as little on show as possible, just the CDP and Turntable on top (having had their psu's offloaded
2) To look like a nice piece of traditional furniture not some sort of ugly oil rig
3) Site ALL the power supplies as far away as possible from the circuitry they power. Doing that is always beneficial for the music ime. Putting them at ground level will lower the unit's centre of gravity (the psu makes up the lion's share of the weight of a unit).
4)) Getting the amplifiers, selector switch, volume control(s) and sources as close together as possible. Keeping signal wiring between stages as short and direct as possible for low capacitance which is important when using a passive preamplifier stage.
5) Have all wiring internal and hardwired where possible. Lose as many plugs and sockets as is practical. Just one power lead and speaker wires on show (that one is for Jammy :grin: ).
6) Keep the unit central to the speakers to keep speaker wires as short as possible. The speaker sockets are going on the sides for easy access and to keep the wiring short.
7) Future proof. As I don't expect to change anything except possibly the cdp (if I run out of spare lasers) then there will be little to do. As long as the front panel is removable then I will be able to service it and add a psu in case I ever get a file/ streaming based source going.
8) Easy to dust.
9) Safe to use - no external metal apart from the sources (which have had the psu's removed). All wood on the outside and so no chance of a mains shock (like double insulated). Even the external knobs and their extension shafts are going to be wood.

You may think the above is all unnecessary anal nerdery but it should make for a killer system. My wish is to just enjoy the music when it is all done, no box swapping, no thinking what if I just.......

NVA is for life not just for Christmas :grin:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:54 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

As is the custom here I will try and build my sound system housing out of something reclaimed. Recycling is the way forward in this modern age of excessive consumerism, wastage and selfishness.

Luckily I have found something on the farm that could be changed a bit to provide what I need. Yes, the farm is a time machine where nothing is thrown out and turns out to be a goldmine of stuff that can be used decades later :lol: It is a homemade blanket box or ottoman made out of pine boards by my grandfather probably in the year dot.

it is bigger than what you might imagine a blanket box to be that sits at the end of your bed. 107cm wide x 52cm deep x 60cm tall. The pine boards are 28mm thick and a bit rough but the whole thing is covered in fabric at the moment. It is going to need a bit of adaption as it is slightly too long to go in the alcove at home - 7cm need taking off. It also needs to be a bit higher so will have to add about 20cm on the top. The depth is perfect and will be big enough to get CDP and record on top and house the power amp aluminum heat sink.

I doubt I can get pine boards to match but I will try. If I can't then I might have to veneer it but it's a lot of surface area to be veneering. Might be able to find a cheaper way that is acceptable. It has a hinged lid which I will keep but the front needs to be removeable for servicing and faffing so that will need thinking about. It will also need a grill across the back for air circulation.

Other than that it's about perfect :lol: and will save a heap of cash on materials. I just need to find matching wood for the extra 20cm of height required and make sure it will look good enough. Veneering is quite expensive so that will be the very last option i would take. Painting would be ok but then wouldn't match my room.

Here it is in all it's neglected back of a shed glory

DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Just had a thought :hand: If I remove the back and use something else for the new back from my endless supply of wood and crap I could use the planks removed to go along the front and sides to increase the height. :dance: And it should match :pray: The whole thing is going to need a bit of a frame inside it so the front can be removed without the whole thing falling over :roll: . Some 44mm square planed timber should do for that. Might have some hanging around somewhere :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I removed all the fabric to see what it looked like underneath. On top of the lid was a soft like cushion or so I thought. When I ripped it off I found it was some fabric filled with oat chaff from the threshing process :shock: It went everywhere :roll:

There are quite a lot of knots in the lid of this, the other sides much less so. The planks are 28cm wide which is a fair size and there are no fancy joints just butt joints with really old fashioned nails. This thing has been around a while.

I think it might be worth using, it has a kind of rustic charm which when spruced up might be acceptable. I can mitre the corners as I need to reduce it's width anyway.

Any views ? Should I use it ? Yes or no .
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

No
If u don’t like it u have destroyed a piece of history- made that mistake before
Have you looked at the vintage Dynatron music centres
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Bought a new volume pot for my AP20. As the volume is quite low most of the time it really is pissing me off with it's low level imbalance. Even after cranking it up and then back down it's annoyed me to that the extent that soon it will history. My B&W C1 speakers are only 84 dB as well.

Chose a TKD from hificollective. It's tiny :shock: Basically a 16mm cube with a shaft and some lugs for connection. Compared to the Alps I have here (from a NAC72) it is weeny small. Can't get over how small it is.

If this doesn't fit I will be very surprised.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm Bought a new volume pot for my AP20. As the volume is quite low most of the time it really is pissing me off with it's low level imbalance. Even after cranking it up and then back down it's annoyed me to that the extent that soon it will history. My B&W C1 speakers are only 84 dB as well.

Chose a TKD from hificollective. It's tiny :shock: Basically a 16mm cube with a shaft and some lugs for connection. Compared to the Alps I have here (from a NAC72) it is weeny small. Can't get over how small it is.

I've heard TKDs are very good - but expensive?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Latteman wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 am No
If u don’t like it u have destroyed a piece of history- made that mistake before
Have you looked at the vintage Dynatron music centres
I don't think I am going to use the old blanket box as it's a bit rough and the pine panels on the top are a bit bowed. Looking for other candidates or may have to bite the bullet and actually buy some materials :shock: :roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:02 pm
karatestu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm Bought a new volume pot for my AP20. As the volume is quite low most of the time it really is pissing me off with it's low level imbalance. Even after cranking it up and then back down it's annoyed me to that the extent that soon it will history. My B&W C1 speakers are only 84 dB as well.

I've heard TKDs are very good - but expensive?
Depends what you call expensive - £45 inc VAT and delivery. I too have heard they are very good but you never really know until it is fitted and your are listening.

Here it is. Isn't it cute :romance-heartsthree: That's a 10p coin next to it.

These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:09 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

That will be a better pot than you will find in most £2k amplifiers.

Expensive for a manufacturer, acceptable to a DIYer.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/