Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They are inside the cabinet no one can here them, they are just used as load.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Wadding out of the cabinets this afternoon and......WAP BAM BOOGIE! :dance: :dance: :mrgreen: :lol:
These speakers have moved on from from 'excellent for the type' to supersonic music machines!
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

For me it is THE most stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid speaker design convention out of all of them, people put it in automatically. Pull the feckin' stuff out.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Well it took me long enough, but the wadding came out in the end.
I like going out on a limb with things but wadding was a sticking point. It's a difficult thing to break free of because tradition is strong. But just thinking 'sod tradition' and going for it is of course the way to go. Once you do it, as they say, you won’t go back.
Daft thing is, these drivers are pro drivers and you never see pro drivers in stuffed up cabs, so why stuff the bloody cabs for the drivers in a domestic situation?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

The big 15" brothers.
I finally got around to making them look presentable. i was going to veneer the top, but the black is growing on me

ImageFane 15" sealed box speakers by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

ImageFane 15" sealed box speakers by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

covered in some faux suede material
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Soooo simple - soooo music.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the sound of these speakers, since I had them at Owston in June.

That they have a rising response is not in dispute and it normally doesn’t bother me, as my small room enables me to sit in the near field at around 30 deg off axis. Large rooms where you can’t get far enough off axis in the far field, give a piercing presentation to say the least, which is exactly what happens at Owston and in any large room such as Steve S’s. This is a bit crap really, as it limits their application in the domestic environment, to the smaller room, which is a pity, because the driver is one of the best widebanders I’ve ever heard.

Much measuring later I have traced the source of the on-axis peakiness to the larger of the two whizzers and I have found a nice way to reduce the large whizzer’s output relative to the small, central treble whizzer and thus even out the upper mid to treble transition to convert the driver from PA to domestic hi-fi use. The method does not involve doping, sticking things to the whizzers or otherwise adulterating the driver.

I just added a second grille behind the first. This secondary grille is of a much closer weave than the front, Fender tweed style cloth, and has a small, vertical slit cut into its centre, so that the hole resembles the pupil of a cat’s eye. This arrangement attenuates acoustically, the larger whizzer, whilst allowing the HF coming from the small, central whizzer to pass unimpeded.

The net result is a rebalancing of the driver’s frequency response, from ‘cut through’ PA towards a more benign domestic audio presentation and it works beautifully. I’m well pleased with the results. The nice thing also is that the cat’s eye lens is completely invisible.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Listening impressions are that the imaging has improved dramatically. Central vocal positioning is precise and free of vagueness, and overall positioning of instruments across the stereo stage is much more tightly defined. Midband detail is astonishingly good, with subtle details easier to hear than before. Because the upper mid frequency balance has been pulled flatter, bass is now better balanced relative to the rest of the audible range and so we get a better idea of what bass instruments are doing. The same increase in clarity applies to the treble range too, as the upper mids are no longer swamping HF details.

What we have here, is a significant improvement in the quality of the music coming out of these drivers, and it has been achieved without eq or DSP. Not that eq or DSP are bad things, but this cat’s eye secondary grille method is both cheaper and quite effective.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

This is a simple representation of the secondary grille I placed behind the front Fender cloth.
4CAF2C3D-8BFC-4236-BD6C-B687F50D9AE5.jpeg
4CAF2C3D-8BFC-4236-BD6C-B687F50D9AE5.jpeg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
The white area represents the secondary grille fabric, which is a dark brown, commercially available speaker cloth.
The cat’s pupil aperture is simply the hole I cut in the centre of the cloth. Nothing new in this method. It’s all been done before.

Interestingly, though not a totally unexpected effect of the muting of the large whizzer, is an increase in dynamic contrasts and leading edge speed. As I alluded to in the last post; the central HF whizzer gets to contribute more to the presentation because it is not being shouted down by the big whizzer to the same degree as it was, without the secondary fabric in place. So we get a commensurate increase in leading edge speed, due to less upper mid muddle, mucking up the higher registers.

Also there will have been an alteration to the horizontal vs vertical dispersion characteristics of the driver system itself, caused by the cat’s eye aperture. There are a couple of mechanisms at work here and the effect of these is simply more of the music being revealed, which of course is what this hobby is all about.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Very interesting
Very cunning
Like it 👍🏼
Any update pics?
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp