Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:34 pm Series wiring is always musically better I have been saying this for years, ask DQ. Trouble is in dem situation a series wired speaker is quieter, needs more on the VC so ignorant people think it must be worse.
Yep, the music seems more of a piece with the series connected parts. The guitar amp guys like series wiring too, according to my book.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You don't have to have identical or even very similar drivers to do it. In the new BBCubes the 5.5 inch side driver and the 12 inch top driver are in series direct off the speaker terminals with NO component in between, just both driver have been tailored mechanically by cone doping. The results are self explanatory when people hear them. The best solution is each driver has its own amplifier but that gets expensive this is a cheaper alternative, both far better than the parallel wiring everyone else uses.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A term I have heard used in the old days is that series gives a stiffer connection to the amp and parallel a looser connection. I have always seen that as the amp having tighter control with higher impedance loads. It also means that the equation between an amp driving current and driving voltage changes, it is easier on the amp to drive more voltage.

Give an amplifier an easier job and it replies by thanking you with more music.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Would it be worth reconing those 6" drivers? Or are they nothing special drivers and not worth the time or money?

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Thanks for the update Steve (?)👍🏼👌
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 am Would it be worth reconing those 6" drivers? Or are they nothing special drivers and not worth the time or money?
They were decent drivers, but not worth getting reconed. I have another two in perfect nick anyway. :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Mount the new driver on the out side on the side of the cab facing outward. Use series wiring no crossover, you may need to dope new drivers, if you need help in doping just ask.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Steve you are to be praised as open minded amoungst all the closed minded DIYers around you, what is the point if you just copy the established bullshit. Rememebr me taking the piss out of the moose and all his over complicated nonsense, and how the *experts* pulled me apart because of it. Ego wont make most of them be willing to find out.

Just a rant,

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Yes,
I always like to try new things out. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but series connecting drivers is interesting in that the drivers talk to each other more than they do in a parallel arrangement. Some designers would avoid that like the plague, but in my speakers the result is more musically satisfying.

Of course there is only a speaker motor in each cabinet rather than a driver connecting to the outside air, but the interaction between the two series connected voice coil/motors is having a beneficial effect.

Many guitar players like the fuller tone that a series connected speaker cab produces, but others think it is unsafe in a stage environment as if one driver fails open circuit, the output is cut dead instantly, which in a pentode connected tube guitar amp with feedback, will result in a burned out output transformer, faster than you can say WTF.

Parallel connection avoids the above on stage, as if one driver fails, the other one keeps going. But of course, this fail scenario is not going to happen in a domestic environment, with a valve amp unless the end user is a complete idiot. Transistor amp won't care anyway if there is suddenly nothing on its output terminals, so series connected drivers are a non-issue from a safety point of view.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

With the 6" drivers that just have the dust cap left, can you still hear music coming from them?

I'm just trying to imagine what effect it has when you cut away the cone and leave the voice coil and dust cap?
I'd imagine they're a lot quieter and the lower frequencies wont be reproduced? I'd also be worried about them moving too far with no cone and surround to hold them back? Could be a good one-off party trick, shooting dust caps across the room.
:violence-shock:
Or probably, more likely them spilling out like those joke glasses with eyeballs on springs. :think:

With the series connection, is it possible that it's affecting the impedance and phase at certain frequencies in a way that the amplifier likes?