make your own g88

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: make your own g88

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

:lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

I now realise why my suggestion of a mono switch on the pre-amps fell on deaf ears when you were asking for suggestions... :lol: :lol: :lol:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 pm Theory desn’t match what I’m hearing.
Sometimes the case , as i have found with my speaker development.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

scotty38 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 am I now realise why my suggestion of a mono switch on the pre-amps fell on deaf ears when you were asking for suggestions... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

I have a Graham Slee phono stage with RIAA EQ switches and a mono switch. I use it for my early classical records. That's about 2% of my listening. I don't want that added complexity for the other 98% of my listening. My Phono 2 sounds better and is £200 cheaper.

If you're a DIYer, you can choose your own compromises. NVA products should only contain compromises that are unavoidable. If there is a economical way of adding a mono switch without importing potential distortion issues / compromises to sound quality, then we will do it. My understanding is that there isn't. Steve's ears are telling him different, so I'm happy to look into it further, later in the year.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Had to get rid of the drawer in the hi-fi table, in order to accommodate the phono power supply unit (bottom left compartment)
Phono stage itself is at the opposite end of the bottom shelf.
Was enjoying a mono Ella & Louis when I took this pic. Am currently enjoying a Decca Ace of Clubs, mono recording of Mendelssohn’s Symphony No 4 (Italian).
Thing with mono is you can sit where the hell you like. :lol:

Anyway, enough about fecking mono; it’s of interest only to historical record collectors and to collectors of historical records.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

savvypaul
Great Britain

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:10 pm
Anyway, enough about fecking mono; it’s of interest only to historical record collectors and to collectors of historical records.
You're even more historical than me :lol:
I am in the hi-fi trade

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Made yet another one. Had to do something.
This one is again made from a 75, but I had to cut it round at the back instead of square.
Reason being, this chassis had the SME 3009 on it, and had had a bloody great hole chiseled out of it (badly done with I think a bread knife rather than a tool suitable for metalwork.....) to make it fit. As such, that bodged hole would have left a large chunk missing if I had cut it square again.
So almost by default, this one is as close to an 88 in terms of aesthetics as I've gotten.
Usual case, a strip has been welded in to form the edge at the back, then a full paint strip and repaint. I also filled in the screw holes near the speed lever cutout to make it as smooth and clean as possible.

ImageIMG_20200401_181745 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

plinth came out of the clamps this evening, 6" deep, so abit larger than usual. thought i might as well use all the sheet material i had rather than saving some for something else. when its cut out it will be either 20" wide or 21", depends if i decide to make it able to accept a 12" arm.

plan is for walnut veneer and initially an acos lustre GST-1 arm.
it will be a big heavy bugger

also finally managed to track down a 1/2" shank laminate trimming router bit for this project, these seem to be difficult to source as the majority are 1/4" shank. When squaring up something this big with the router the 1/4" shank ones are abit marginal. this new one i found should be perfect, 1/2" shank, 12.7mm wide flutes and a 12.7mm bearing on the bottom. It can be trimmed to size from the top to about 2/3rds of the way down, then flipped over and the trim completed with the bearing running on the already trimmed section. plus its 3" long so something of a beast, and plenty long enough. cost a fortune (in terms of a router bit) so i hope it wears fairly well....
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

slow progress, it got veneered in oak because i couldnt get any walnut, but thats ok

ImageBte designs type 3 Gl75/88 conversion by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

cant do the arm board quite yet as im waiting for some grommets for it

ImageBte designs type 3 Gl75/88 conversion by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

reused some nice aluminium feet i had knocking around.

I've decided to do these as a 'thing', hence the type 3 in the photo tag.
Type 1 is a standard lenco rebuilt in a new plinth, type 2 is my teardrop lenco, and type 3 is these.
Paul's is 'the grand lady', Mi dad's is 'the little lady'. This one is in the middle, not so large as pauls, but a lot bigger than mi dad's.
What do we reckon for a name?
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Nice. "The Lady" will do I suspect and fits :-)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Goldilocks - this one is 'just right'
I am in the hi-fi trade