Mosfet follower class A DIY

A place for DIY project discussions.
valvesRus
Great Britain

Mosfet follower class A DIY

Unread post by valvesRus »

I found some enthusiastic reports on a MoFo class A amplifier, so I downloaded and studied the details.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/mofo/mofo.pdf

I was impressed by reports of persons who had built them, so I've gone and built a pair.

I was helped by dismantling my Pass 50W mosfet amps, so did not need to buy much extra, and the (now voluminous) spare parts box contributed as well.

I was helped by a friend (yes, I have got at least one) who had a pair of the printed circuit board and two MOTs (microwave oven transformers) to use as the chokes.

End up, it's the best amplifier I've ever listened to in my house, so hugely well pleased.

These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post (total 5):
Latteman (Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:57 pm) • karatestu (Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 pm) • savvypaul (Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:48 pm) • NSNO2021 (Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:28 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Mosfet follower class A DIY

Unread post by karatestu »

Can it cook baked beans as well :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

These look fantastic, I'd love to build something like them.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I like the fact it looks like no other solid state amp I have ever seen 👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

valvesRus
Great Britain

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

One day I'll put then into a box, well two boxes for each unit as they are a tad heavy for an old boy like me with a bad back.. :lol:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

valvesRus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33 am Thanks for the kind comments. :)

One day I'll put then into a box, well two boxes for each unit as they are a tad heavy for an old boy like me with a bad back.. :lol:
Pu them into a box each, move the heatsink to the front, the inputs and outputs to the back, give it a nice paint job and you have a pair of giant QUAD 303s.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Thanks Steve.

Yes, but ------------

Nice idea, but it would be too heavy, much the same as the lash up prototypes.

I was thinking of making one unit to contain the MOT ( microwave oven transformer ) a bean tin size capacitor and the heatsink, with the heatsink horizontal, a bit like the Musical Fidelity A1, or A100.

Mind you, nearly every amp i've ever made has never made it to the boxing up, being electrically safe and looking good stage. :lol:

When Morgan Jones signed my copy of his book at Owston a couple of years ago he wrote " to Phil, for perseverance in the face of safety and the use of MDF at high voltages"

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I see that this amp needs a decent output from the pre-amp to drive it. What are you using or is it a direct feed from a CD player?

valvesRus
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am I see that this amp needs a decent output from the pre-amp to drive it. What are you using or is it a direct feed from a CD player?
I have two transformer coupled valve preamps. One is an Audionote copy built by Philip Ramsey of Bluebell Audio fame, and the other is a World Designs Pre3. Both work fine with MoFo.

My other two preamps are sadly lacking in drive on this amp. One is a passive and the other is a cheap as chips Chinese valve jobbie, and they both work well with my Chinese chip amp for lesser duties like powering my DIY computer monitors in the study.

ADDITION. A buffer like (for example) a Pass B1 would be something I would investigate if I had no suitable preamp. Knock off PCBs are on Ebay.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

valvesRus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am I see that this amp needs a decent output from the pre-amp to drive it. What are you using or is it a direct feed from a CD player?
I have two transformer coupled valve preamps. One is an Audionote copy built by Philip Ramsey of Bluebell Audio fame, and the other is a World Designs Pre3. Both work fine with MoFo.

My other two preamps are sadly lacking in drive on this amp. One is a passive and the other is a cheap as chips Chinese valve jobbie, and they both work well with my Chinese chip amp for lesser duties like powering my DIY computer monitors in the study.

ADDITION. A buffer like (for example) a Pass B1 would be something I would investigate if I had no suitable preamp. Knock off PCBs are on Ebay.
Thanks, I have a Quad 34 pre amp which might be suitable but obviously not the Moth passive.