DIY LSx

A place for DIY project discussions.
Quarknosis

DIY LSx

Unread post by Quarknosis »

My daughter needs some short speaker cables for her system and I want to try and make up some DIY LS1 or LS3. Is it possible to find out what type of wire is used or is it a trade secret? The other option could be to go for a doubled up version of LS2, after making up a DIY version of these I think it should be possible to get 2 sets of this cable into a z plug.

Any advice would be appreciated 8-)
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: DIY LSx

Unread post by savvypaul »

Those are a trade secret.

I can give you the details for LS2, though, if you don't already have it.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Quarknosis (Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Quarknosis

OK, thank you Paul.

Yes I would appreciate it if you could let me know which is the correct cable for LS2. Thinking about it, the other option could be to buy a single run of LS3 and reterminate, obviously that would negate any guarantee or upgrade options.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

savvypaul
Great Britain

Quarknosis wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:26 pm OK, thank you Paul.

Yes I would appreciate it if you could let me know which is the correct cable for LS2. Thinking about it, the other option could be to buy a single run of LS3 and reterminate, obviously that would negate any guarantee or upgrade options.
PM sent
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Quarknosis (Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:33 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Hi Paul

Can you give the details of the LS2 cable please I think it would be sensible to make up a full set for my active system which has runs to both bass and treble for each side then a short run from the bass unit of the upper pair to the lower pair . I think the cost would just be too high for LS1 and I would need to source unterminated cables in order ti get things connected . So LS2 would make things easier and a little more cost effective . Please PM me details when you can .

Quarknosis

savvypaul wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:42 pm
PM sent
Thanks Paul 8-)

savvypaul
Great Britain

LS2 was made from an electrical installation cable.

The 4mm square version of something like this (lots of makers of it): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-CORE-ELECT ... ctupt=true
I am in the hi-fi trade

Bencat57
Great Britain

Thank you for that information Paul I am assuming that any wire produced to 6491X 4MM specification will be suitable . Could I just ask if this cable is used though not produced and supplied by NVA would it still keep the NVA guarantee ?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Bencat57 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm Thank you for that information Paul I am assuming that any wire produced to 6491X 4MM specification will be suitable . Could I just ask if this cable is used though not produced and supplied by NVA would it still keep the NVA guarantee ?
It is safe to use with NVA amps, assuming that you don't do anything daft with it. But, ANY cable that we have not supplied will invalidate your warranty.

The details are published by us here (and only here) to give those with older NVA amps an option to use a very low cost cable.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Bencat57
Great Britain

Thanks Paul that has at least saved me a little money and some time . If they still invalidate the warranty then will leave what I am using as there is no gain replacing them .