McSpeakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: McSpeakers

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:50 pm Best to start with light damping and then listen .

On my 12 inch drivers , I damped a small amount round the dust cap and then I followed the pattern on scanspeak driver .then I did one coat of plasti dip
I will of course, thanks DQ. I've got a double worry because I don't think the woofers I'm currently looking at (on an 80s set of Realistic speakers) are particularly sensitive to start with, so I'll need to be extra careful not to overdo it.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Does any one know what glue to use for replacing speaker surrounds? I bought some from that place in Holland, but it seemed expensive for what it was. I'm guessing it's a PVA product, so I was wondering if standard PVA (or super PVA) could safely be used instead?
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There no reason why you can't use bison as long as there rubber.

Or any contact glue.

If there not rubber you'll need to know what there made off.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
CycleCoach (Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:00 pm)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

[url]]

Too much?
I added about 20g per driver the day before, but it had shrunk away to almost nothing overnight, so I decided to add enough to lightly coat both cones.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 am) • karatestu (Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:30 pm)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

http://imgur.com/gallery/iVDGvhu
The previous days efforts.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

CycleCoach wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am [url]]

Too much?
I added about 20g per driver the day before, but it had shrunk away to almost nothing overnight, so I decided to add enough to lightly coat both cones.
I am going to repeat Doc's favourite answer to questions like this.

"FFS, how the feck would I know :roll: Suck it and see." :grin: :grin: :grin:

Only you alone can judge when you have got the right amount. You must listen to the speakers in their enclosures with the other drivers and crossover components (if any). Add a little more if you think the crossover region is too hot. If it is the crossover region and above which is too hot then increase padding resistor. You could also try decreasing the filter cap value before adding more dope if it is only the crossover region which is too hot.

Adding more dope is the only way to tame any nasty cone break up - the capacitor and resistor mods can't do that. With my 5 inchers I added more and more until I was almost up to the rubber surround and at last satisfied. They then looked exactly like my initial pair of 5 inchers that were supplied and doped by Doc (RIP).

The 6.5 inchers that I have doped were certainly nowhere near up to the surround by the time I was happy. They were tamed much easier so it depends on the driver and also how big it is. I expect it is a better to have less dope than more (for the same level of performance) as the sensitivity is not reduced so much. Saying that, I was listening to my speakers whilst pouring the dope on :lol: and the reduction in volume was not noticeable at the time.

It is good practice to measure out how much you are adding to each speaker so they are better matched. It is usually poured over the dust cap so the dope sits in the valley at the bottom. I didn't pour it on the outside of the cone near the rubber surround on my 6.5 inchers.

That kind of explains Doc's "suck it and see"
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CycleCoach (Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:53 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It's a learning process. Enjoy the ride . The more you do the more you learn.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:34 pm)