McSpeakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

McSpeakers

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I'm currently playing with a couple of speaker projects so I think I will start this subject to keep all my crap off other people's threads.

My first post here is a quick inquiry about driver doping.

I've read around it for a couple of hours on here but would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has actually had a go at it.

Materials to use:

Woofers. Bison Kit by ear and then plastidip/kote? I could do with some specific advice on where and how much to apply - I couldn't find the answers I was after, but maybe I didn't go back far enough.

Tweeters: firstly is it needed, but secondly is it the plastidip again?

As a broad idea: how much extra padding did the tweeter require to bring it down to the now wonderful but less sensitive woofer?

Thanks in advance my wise friends.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Toontrev

Re: McSpeakers

Unread post by Toontrev »

Copied directly from the Doc when I did mine;
'Bison first plastidip second. You have two choices depending on whether you bought a can of Bison or are relying on tubes. If only tubes then a nice *thick* worm all around junction between dustcap and cone. It will settle then put another worm. If you have loads then the method I use is to dribble it around the edge of the cone and it will flow down fill in gaps so it flows down evenly across and from the cone to gather at the place you would have had the worm. It will look too much but it dries back a lot so don't worry. Then do the same with the dustcap dribble to cover. Let completely dry over a few day and then spray twice with plastidip all over (dry time between) - job done.'
No need to do the tweeter, advice was to try different rated padding resistor as needed.
These users thanked the author Toontrev for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Toontrev wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 pm Copied directly from the Doc when I did mine;
'Bison first plastidip second. You have two choices depending on whether you bought a can of Bison or are relying on tubes. If only tubes then a nice *thick* worm all around junction between dustcap and cone. It will settle then put another worm. If you have loads then the method I use is to dribble it around the edge of the cone and it will flow down fill in gaps so it flows down evenly across and from the cone to gather at the place you would have had the worm. It will look too much but it dries back a lot so don't worry. Then do the same with the dustcap dribble to cover. Let completely dry over a few day and then spray twice with plastidip all over (dry time between) - job done.'
No need to do the tweeter, advice was to try different rated padding resistor as needed.
Thanks Trev
So did you personally use a tin or a tube? I've ordered a couple of tubes from Rapid, but it sounds like I might need more!
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I don't think you HAVE to spray with plastidip. IME it is only for cosmetics as the bison kit is not very attractive to look at. I would mask off the rubber surround before doing this as you don't want any bison or pkastidip on that - it increases the resonant frequency apparently .
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:54 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Thanks Stu

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

CycleCoach wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm
Toontrev wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 pm Copied directly from the Doc when I did mine;
Thanks Trev
So did you personally use a tin or a tube? I've ordered a couple of tubes from Rapid, but it sounds like I might need more!
Hi
I bought a tin, cant remember the size but the woofers are 12" so it used a fair bit, a lot more than you would think but the doc was correct , it dries right back.
These users thanked the author Toontrev for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:09 pm)

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I used a 50ml tube for each 6.5” driver- not exactly a full tube but close- as above it kinda shrinks- I tried to mimic the look of the 8” drivers I got from Doc
Didn’t spray afterwards
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:19 pm)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Latteman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:07 pm I used a 50ml tube for each 6.5” driver- not exactly a full tube but close- as above it kinda shrinks- I tried to mimic the look of the 8” drivers I got from Doc
Didn’t spray afterwards
We're gonna need a bigger boat......
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 pm)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

I ordered a 4.5l tin of Bison Kit. Hopefully that will be enough!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Best to start with light damping and then listen .

On my 12 inch drivers , I damped a small amount round the dust cap and then I followed the pattern on scanspeak driver .then I did one coat of plasti dip