4 way Frankenstein high efficiency speakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Docfoster
Wales

Re: 4 way Frankenstein high efficiency speakers

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:23 pm The link to Willys is useful. As well as the Monacor or Mundorf recomendation.

When the time comes I'll be getting my head round the different types of crossover components. EG do bipolar capacitors have large mood swings? :obscene-hanged:
Not if the system is powered by lithium batteries.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

My wife had bipolar disorder diagnosed 3 years ago. She has had it all her life
What she has been through over the years with this condition is beyond the comprehension of someone who doesn't have it

It is no fucking laughing matter. Bear that in mind next time a joke related to mental health is on the tip of the tongue and remember that there are people on the other end of your 'joke'

Its not fucking funny in the slightest. Would you take the piss if someone had autism, cerebal palsy, et cetera? No you wouldn't.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Docfoster
Wales

Vinyl-ant wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:19 pm My wife had bipolar disorder diagnosed 3 years ago. She has had it all her life
What she has been through over the years with this condition is beyond the comprehension of someone who doesn't have it

It is no fucking laughing matter. Bear that in mind next time a joke related to mental health is on the tip of the tongue and remember that there are people on the other end of your 'joke'

Its not fucking funny in the slightest. Would you take the piss if someone had autism, cerebal palsy, et cetera? No you wouldn't.
Ant,
You sound furious and upset.
I hope that since her diagnosis your wife has received some helpful treatment.
I wish her nothing but the best.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As somebody who as become disabled, I don't expect people to take my sensibilities into account when making jokes.

Im afraid finding the bipolar jokes unfunny says more about you than those that told them. And I say this with a family member who is bipolar.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:19 pm My wife had bipolar disorder diagnosed 3 years ago. She has had it all her life

I know bipolar people too.

The joke was at the expense of some capacitors. I don't think they will be offended.

And point noted. I won't be making any more bipolar jokes on this forum.
From now on in this thread I'll concentrate on the non-serious matter of my somewhat stupid speaker creation.

Lindsayt
Nauru

I've just bought 2 x EV 1823 midrange compression drivers to go with the midrange horns I already have.

I'm still on the look-out for big woofers to fill in below the Altec 414's...
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Docfoster (Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:36 pm)

Docfoster
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm I've just bought 2 x EV 1823 midrange compression drivers to go with the midrange horns I already have.
Thanks for the update.
Great stuff.
I had never considered compression drivers till I tried some old Tannoy Eatons last year.
I thought that overall the speakers were OK (though not well matched (probably due to their age - one was clearly brighter than the other)), but the one thing that really impressed me was the dynamics from compression driver / horn arrangement of the dual concentric design of the Tannoy HPD295 drivers.
I sold the Eatons, but my experience of them convinced me to base my next build around a modern (and more affordable) Monacor version of a Tannoy driver. Anyway, I was just surprised how good compression drivers and horns can sound.
Preaching to the converted here of course Lindsay, your beloved EVs are well horn loaded. :-)
I would be interested at trying out a more conventional horn design, and go 3-way as you are, at some point in the future.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm I'm still on the look-out for big woofers to fill in below the Altec 414's...
I'd been keeping an eye out for woofers that suit your requirements. No luck so far. I think you might need to relax the efficiency spec a bit and run perhaps 4 per side or something.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:46 am
Lindsayt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm I'm still on the look-out for big woofers to fill in below the Altec 414's...
I'd been keeping an eye out for woofers that suit your requirements. No luck so far. I think you might need to relax the efficiency spec a bit and run perhaps 4 per side or something.
I agree. Something will - almost certainly - have to give.
Either I will need to use equalisation
or lose some bass extension
or some efficiency
or have to go ported or semi ported or corner horned bass
or buy 4 x woofers per channel - at what cost?

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

The swings & roundabouts of compromise is the way this speaker building game goes. You can't have everything unfortunately :cry:

Good luck in finding a way that is acceptable to you :guiness;
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE