4 way Frankenstein high efficiency speakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: 4 way Frankenstein high efficiency speakers

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I'm open to suggestions for plywood. As in, exactly where to buy and what exact grade to go for.

I've not knocked up plans for the cabinet yet. But I think I'm going to end up using quite a bit of the stuff.
Because I'm planning on each woofer having its own enclosure. And I prefer the soundstaging from speakers where the midrange drivers sound vaguely at a height where the vocalist would be standing if they were singing live in my room.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
antonio66 (Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Hi Lindsay, it was good to chat with you at Owston on Saturday. :)

Just try to bear in mind that very few DIY ers crack the ultimate speaker on their first attempt. Even Colin Topps often uses MDF or chipboard on prototypes to make sure the concept is sound ('scuse the pun) before buying something like BBP (Baltic birch ply).

So unless you are lucky, or skilled, don't expect the first iteration to be perfect.

PS

It seems MDF and chipboard used together can be good for speaker cabinets. MDF on the outside, chipboard on the inside.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Time will tell how my Frankensteins turn out. I have some good classic Yank speakers to compare them against. So I'll know quickly and easily if and where any major sonic faults are with my DIY efforts.

I'm not exactly re-inventing the wheel here. From 600 hz upwards I'm basically copying my EV speakers.
And I'm not a complete numpty when it comes to mechanical and production engineering.

I do not intend using MDF nor chipboard on my speakers.

And time is money. It's not worth my time doing an MDF / chipboard prototype to prove the concept.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:27 pm Time will tell how my Frankensteins turn out. I have some good classic Yank speakers to compare them against. So I'll know quickly and easily if and where any major sonic faults are with my DIY efforts.

I'm not exactly re-inventing the wheel here. From 600 hz upwards I'm basically copying my EV speakers.
And I'm not a complete numpty when it comes to mechanical and production engineering.

And time is money. It's not worth my time doing an MDF / chipboard prototype to prove the concept.
I would have thought prototype engineering was different to production engineering ?

Anyway, you go your way and we'll all be looking to see how the project progresses over the next months and years.

EDIT.

If you are basically copying your EV speakers for over 600Hz, why not build the sub 600Hz bit first and see how it integrates with the EVs ?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Prototype engineering is just 1 off production engineering.

I did sort of intend buying a pair 18" or 21" or 24" woofers and adding them to my AV system. And then growing them into full range speakers from the bass up. But I've not had the luck so far in getting woofers that I'd like to try at prices I'd be happy to pay.

I have instead had some luck in scoring a pair of EV ST350's at an attractive price, plus the Altec 414's at not too bad a price for what they go for these days. And recently the EV 1823's at an OK price.

This has pretty much been my approach to hi-fi buying for the last 14 years. Having a hit list of items I'd be interested in and pulling the trigger when I see an attractive deal. This has lead to a lot of randomness in what I've ended up with.
This approach has served me well. I see no need to change it now.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:42 am I'm open to suggestions for plywood. As in, exactly where to buy and what exact grade to go for.

I've not knocked up plans for the cabinet yet. But I think I'm going to end up using quite a bit of the stuff.
Because I'm planning on each woofer having its own enclosure. And I prefer the soundstaging from speakers where the midrange drivers sound vaguely at a height where the vocalist would be standing if they were singing live in my room.
Looks like they're going to be monsters, will you be constructing them in the lounge, you may have problems getting them through the doors, height and width ways by the sound of it. :lol:
Good luck though.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Even if it’s not the case , you have to approach each diy project as if it is the definitive project.

Anything else is counterproductive
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

I'm planning on making them modular. As in; able to disassemble easily. Stacked in 3 major parts like a wedding cake. Or like 3 large plywood Lego bricks.

But yeah, the bottom bass bin will be heavy.

I won't be using any large horns, so getting through doorways won't be an issue. I'm expecting to get them in the back of my car.

And yes, I agree in giving the cabinets and these speakers in general my best shot from the start. I've assembled what I'd consider a collection of real classic drivers from manufacturers who were at the peak of their powers when they made them. They deserve to be put in cabinets that will at least try to do them justice.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:28 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

You could ask if anyone has any spare 6" nails Lindsay :lol:
It's one helluva first speaker build and from what you say 'going for it' in one build would be the way I'd go, and as suggested by DQ. I'm sure everything will be ok and they'll look great when finished.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:27 pm

So, does that mean you are likely to be using BBP ? (Baltic birch ply)

Regardless of the material, have you a plan as to how the different parts of each module (the cabinet that is) will be joined together?

Are you skilled in use of a router ?

If you are then tidy and accurate joints are assured, although you will need many and various clamps while the glue is drying.

Some folk like biscuit joiners, but I've not tried them myself.