Nord Easy-Stream Dismantled

A place for DIY project discussions.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Nord Easy-Stream Dismantled

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I quite like the sound of this little unit but unfortunately, electronically speaking, it is a noisy little beast. I wanted to have a look inside to see if I could add some copper shielding tape lining for the (oh so very plastic) casing. And also to have a look to see if I could add a second power supply so the digital and audio are "cleaner."

Last edited by CycleCoach on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Nord Easy-Stream Dismantled

Nothing surprising about the back panel: I think this is pretty generic depending on the boards used inside.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Removing the four small rubber feet revealed a quartet of small Philips screws, and the thing comes apart quite easily. (Front and back panels just slot into grooves. (Horrible but functional.)

Any advice on adding copper tape to the bottom there - and maybe the sides? And/or some mechanical damping perhaps?

I think the little black wire goes to a really crappy looking Wi-Fi receiver aerial on the base. (No wonder this this sprays digital noise downwards and into my Phono 1 - I currently have it standing on a sheet of tinfoil for just that reason.)

5V power goes in through the micro-USB socket top-right in this image.

The top board is the Khadas Tone-Board (could I add a separate power supply for this bit?) and below if is a small Nord board for Digital in/out and a toggle switch for external/extrnal digital.

PS. I put it back together as it was, and it still works!

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

If u don’t use the wifi disconnect / disable it and see if that helps
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:16 pm)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Old guitarist's trick, for lining guitar control cavities... I don't know how much copper insulation tape retails for these days, but this stuff works equally as well and is still probably a lot cheaper. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slug-Tape-Copper-Repellent-20mm/dp/B00DDVFS7I/ref=pd_lpo_3
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
antonio66 (Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:12 am) • CycleCoach (Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:33 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Just unplugging the wifi antenna would yield unpredictable results, you'd need to terminate it with a 50 or 75 ohm resistor. That'd be a fun soldering job. I'd lift the antenna and reposition it on the side of the unit and line the top and bottom of the box with foil or preferably carbon foam if you have the space. Ground the lining to one of the RCA out socket grounds. Good luck.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

What ever copper tape you use, remember to solder the strips together.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:06 pm Just unplugging the wifi antenna would yield unpredictable results, you'd need to terminate it with a 50 or 75 ohm resistor. That'd be a fun soldering job. I'd lift the antenna and reposition it on the side of the unit and line the top and bottom of the box with foil or preferably carbon foam if you have the space. Ground the lining to one of the RCA out socket grounds. Good luck.
Can you explain why I would need the 75ohm resistor if the antenna is removed: isn't that the same as OS or a big resistor? Also why do I need to earth to the RCA out? I'm thinking of shotgun earthing on certain cables and the effect of simply placing a conductive "skin" around the noise? Thanks in advance.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

CycleCoach wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 pm Can you explain why I would need the 75ohm resistor if the antenna is removed: isn't that the same as OS or a big resistor? Also why do I need to earth to the RCA out? I'm thinking of shotgun earthing on certain cables and the effect of simply placing a conductive "skin" around the noise? Thanks in advance.
Morning!

So you've got this radio transmitter, expecting output along a transmission line to a matched impedance antenna. If you just unplug it, there is no longer a constant impedance transmission line, just an open end where the transmission wave will reflect back. This might or might not cause a resonance. Think of the transmission line in terms of a pressure wave in a pipe expecting some sort of pneumatic device on the end. Just chop it off and you have an open pipe, with associated potential resonances (think blowing across the top of an empty bottle).

An ungrounded shield can simply become part of the antenna, or not, depending on all sorts of things. Ground it and you assure it will not become part of the antenna.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 pm Can you explain why I would need the 75ohm resistor if the antenna is removed: isn't that the same as OS or a big resistor? Also why do I need to earth to the RCA out? I'm thinking of shotgun earthing on certain cables and the effect of simply placing a conductive "skin" around the noise? Thanks in advance.
Morning!

So you've got this radio transmitter, expecting output along a transmission line to a matched impedance antenna. If you just unplug it, there is no longer a constant impedance transmission line, just an open end where the transmission wave will reflect back. This might or might not cause a resonance. Think of the transmission line in terms of a pressure wave in a pipe expecting some sort of pneumatic device on the end. Just chop it off and you have an open pipe, with associated potential resonances (think blowing across the top of an empty bottle).

An ungrounded shield can simply become part of the antenna, or not, depending on all sorts of things. Ground it and you assure it will not become part of the antenna.
A good explanation. Can I just add that a Faraday cage is not always earthed but in this case there is a transmitter inside the enclosure so, unless it is earthed, all you are doing is keeping the RF in, which is not what is required at all.