Everything has a sound

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Everything has a sound

Unread post by karatestu »

As the title. Wood is good apparently- sounds natural :shock: It's not a good idea to build your speaker out of real wood unless you really know what you are doing - that rules out everybody here :lol:

Why don't we build our stuff out of dried shit. What would it sound like ? Most cube users speakers sound like bullet proof vest combined with plastic :shock: I have my metal 2" drivers in a plastic sphere and I'm fooked if I know what it sounds like.

Then when we get on to speaker cone material. Paper is the darling of the voice loving population and I don't deny it sounds like that boring book you couldn't be arsed to finish reading. So kevlar sounds like bullet proof vests- have you ever heard one. Plastic sounds like cack and so artificial 1970's like. Metal sounds like well....CN's record collection :grin: What the hell does fibre glass or carbon fibre sound like ? Lightweight bicycles ?

What about when you mix it up ? One paper driver and another metal ? Is it like that boring book you couldn't be bothered to finish when suddenly CN explodes into the room with his boombox playing Anthrax ?

Yours non the wiser of North Yorkrshire
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Everything has a sound

Unread post by CN211276 »

No mention of speaker stand material. No prizes for guessing what mine are made of and they weigh a tonne. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
karatestu (Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:10 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Why is it (considered) a bad idea to make speaker cabinets out of "real" wood? As in solid timber?

I always thought it was down to cost that MDF is used by so many companies.

I can see the advantages of high quality plywood, due to the mulitlayers.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:27 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Is not the keyword here 'Resonance'?

The effect of a solid cabinet material on the sound from a loudspeaker depends on how much that material resonates along with the vibration of the driver.

The more 'dead' an enclosure is - the less influence ir will have on the resulting musical performance.

Real timber gives that warm 'woody' sound, my Arcam's are solid wood, not MDF.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:11 pm Why is it (considered) a bad idea to make speaker cabinets out of "real" wood? As in solid timber?

I always thought it was down to cost that MDF is used by so many companies.

I can see the advantages of high quality plywood, due to the mulitlayers.
Real wood moves, expands, contracts, cracks with changes in humidity. Speaker drivers are a source of heat especially if you are thrashing them ina sealed enclosure which traps heat. Plywood is much more stable due to the plys running in different directions and it is also stronger and bends less than real wood when presented with internal pressure from drivers in a sealed box.

I did a lot of reading on this a while back. Almost everyone advised against using real wood for the above reasons plus real wood colours the sound more than plywood. Thats why many of them are called tone Woods. MDF is used for cost reasons of course and imo is not the best option. Baltic void free Birch ply is the best option.

If I was going to make a speaker enclosure out of solid wood I would ensure it is extremely well seasoned and stored in the room it will be living in for a while before making it. I am reminded of the solid oak worktop I had over a washing machine that bended like a banana.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 am Is not the keyword here 'Resonance'?

The Blutac between my heavy metal stands and speakers provides damping as well as stability.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If I had the cash spare I would run out and buy a pair of Diapason speakers.
Solid seasoned Walnut blocks, hollowed out, minimal crossovers and doped drivers.

I have heard them and they are awesome.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

So, on the solid wood front, a more dimensionally stable wood like Accoya might be OK?

Or you can go down the over-engineering route, as per the hewn from tree-trunks Diapasons?

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:34 am So, on the solid wood front, a more dimensionally stable wood like Accoya might be OK?

Or you can go down the over-engineering route, as per the hewn from tree-trunks Diapasons?
I am far from an expert on these things. If it's more stable then that has to be good. Clever carpenters can allow for shrinkage and expansion in their work but I don't know how they do it or whether it transfers well to something that has to stay air tight and is trapping heat. I really have no idea how hot it gets in a sealed wooden speaker enclosure. Wood is a poor conductor of heat.

Don't let me put you off Lindsay, I just wanted to make you aware of things that COULD happen so you can take it into account when planning. I love the idea of real wood speakers but I don't think I could pull it off. For the size of speakers you are planning then there are going to be a lot of different planks to join. I think quarter sawn is the stuff to go for.

I am sure you will get better advice if you ask the right people.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I am intrigued by the sound of different materials used in speaker driver manufacturing. There really are lots of different ones used. Paper, plastic, metal, carbon fibre, fibre glass, kevlar, hemp and probably others I have forgotten. I am not in a position to try them all so have to wade through opinions on the Internet.

My B&W speakers use kevlar mid bass and aluminum tweeter. I think the worst thing about kevlar is the strong break up modes higher up. A bit of blue tack works wonders. Metal domes get a bad press, many moan about the metallic edge they can have but they have some endearing qualities.

My little 2' metal cone with plastic dome in the centre does not sound objectionable at all imo. I don't have any paper coned drivers at the moment to compare. Kevlar is OK if the break up is damped mechanically. You can do it electrically ofc but I don't think notching it or relying on it being out of band is very effective.

It gets even more interesting when multiway speakers are considered. If the filters are first order then the drivers are producing the same frequencies over a very large overlap. I wonder if if is considered best to try and stick to the same material for each driver as much as possible. Or can we be cunning and combine the sounds of two different materials to our advantage ?

I remember trying to dope an aluminum continuous cone 5" mid bass and it was a complete failure, it sounded very nasty. I would only consider it for a pure bass driver where the break up is many octaves out of band. Even then, I believe these break ups can have consequences lower down in frequency where it is often in the driver pass band.
DIY FREE ZONE