Another speaker build...

A place for DIY project discussions.
Docfoster
Wales

Another speaker build...

Unread post by Docfoster »

This one's for the second system.
Decided I'd try the little brothers of the drivers in my main speakers.
Got started on the cabinets on the weekend, and today the Monacor SP-308CX coaxial drivers arrived.
Thankfully they fitted perfectly into the holes I'd already cut.
Next is finish drilling the cabinets, and then spray them.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 3):
slinger (Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:29 pm) • Lindsayt (Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:44 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:26 am)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

antonio66
Great Britain

Re: Another speaker build...

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice work so far Doc.

Docfoster
Wales

Well, like an idiot I ordered small cans of primer. Hence that stage is incomplete.
Spent my build time yesterday making the crossovers.
Just waiting on a delivery of more primer today or tomorrow so I can get the cabinets moved on.

These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:53 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

That looks like one heck of a crossover build. Are you into bridge building by any chance :lol:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

That xover looks rather too busy for my liking. Two coils , a capacitor and a sprinkling of power resistors.. Every component added takes something away from the music, all in my opinion of course. Apart from that crack on Doc. Are you lining it with concrete ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Is the small hole on the front baffle for the tweeter?

Docfoster
Wales

TheMadMick wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:07 pm That looks like one heck of a crossover build. Are you into bridge building by any chance :lol:
From the pov of public safety, thank goodness, no.
Last edited by Docfoster on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Docfoster
Wales

karatestu wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:37 pm That xover looks rather too busy for my liking. Two coils , a capacitor and a sprinkling of power resistors.. Every component added takes something away from the music, all in my opinion of course. Apart from that crack on Doc. Are you lining it with concrete ?
Not these, no.
The second system does not warrant such effort!

Docfoster
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:33 pm Is the small hole on the front baffle for the tweeter?
No. The 308s are coaxial and designed for tiny vented cabinets. The holes are for ports. Probably my ideal speakers would be sealed. With large drivers and enormous cabinets, but I need some small boxes for this application.

Docfoster
Wales

We have sound.
Just beta testing at the moment. (I'm still waiting for the acoustic foam to line the cabinet, and I need to trim the port.)
But... not too shabby.
My main relief is that the balance between the drivers is fine. And the smooth and dynamic presence of the HF horn unit that I like in the 310 is evident in these smaller versions. For me that's their main attraction. Bass is inevitably less. But fine for an 8 inch.
I went for a similar crossover configuration to the larger DIY ones beneath. I usually attenuate the HF unit by ear. From scratch. But I consulted the specs for the 308s and the LF unit is 1dB lower relative to its HF unit than the larger 310 versions, so I simply adjusted the L-pad design at which I arrived for the 310 speakers. I'm not going to spend any time tweaking it. These speakers are destined to sit on the floor, right next to each other in the conservatory. So finessing the design seems pointless.
I hate the colour. But that was the wife's choice.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 3):
antonio66 (Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:40 am) • NSNO2021 (Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:32 am) • CycleCoach (Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:31 am)