House extension

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

House extension

Unread post by karatestu »

My wife has nagged me for an extension for several years. I have finally given in although I don't think we NEED the extra space and the unnecessary use ov the planet's finite resources.

Why did I put this in diy ? Oh yes you guessed it right, I'm doing this myself :dance: All that time I would spend on pointless audio foolery is gonna be spent doing something constructive (moan). And before you ask, yes I have the necessary skills after building many structures over the years. It's the perfect distraction that I need and my ocd will be extremely happy to have something to over think.

It's going to be a single storey affair on the back of the house approx 3 x 5 metres. Extra sitting room plus a downstairs toilet, utility room and somewhere to put the boiler - oil boiler is currently in the garage but haven't decided what heating source it will be yet. Definitely not oil though. Green technology is evolving fast so don't know what to do yet.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
antonio66 (Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:02 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: House extension

Unread post by TheMarlin »

We’ve got extension work starting next year.
Paying a man, I couldn’t put one brick on top of another straight if I tried.

Clumsiest man alive!
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Extensions are an expensive undertaking. As with the legal, surveying and accountancy professions the process is full of money sucking leaches who extract all they can with the fee bearing absolutely no relation to the amount of work done. Well I'm not having it so I will do as much of it as I can. Getting trades people these days is a complete nightmare and like a lot of things the quotes are taking thd piss. The only things I envisage having to employ for are plastering, putting the boiler in and signing off the electrics - I have a friend who will check what I have done and sign it off for building reg compliance.

Architect? Not required. I know exactly what I want and don't need this service or the project management they provide. Planning permission ? Not required under permitted development- I have thoroughly checked. Builder, roofer, joiner - not required. The only red tape here is building regulations. My civil engineer friend is on hand for doing calculations and making sure what I do complies.

Materials - prices have gone up like with most things. In the spirit of tight as a ducks ass Yorkshire farmers I will be using as much of what I have laying about on the farm. I have enough natural random stone for the outer wall and enough Welsh slate for the roof. So that will help keep costs down. Still need blocks, joists, roof timber, windows & doors, concrete for footings, plasterboard, toilet and sink, boiler and all the sundries.

Skip - not required.

Tools- I have most of these already inc cement mixer and my farmer mate says I can borrow his mini digger :dance:. Soil straight into a trailer and dumped on the farm. Got most of the hand and power tools required- the rest can be borrowed (it's good to have lots of friends).

I will keep a record of costs as they arise. Will be interesting to see how cheaply it can be done without scrimping on quality and aesthetics. No doubt I will be feeling very smug at the end of it especially when I compare to what I know it has cost other people (mostly overpaid business types who have never done hard physical work or know one end of a hammer from the other).
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:18 pm) • Lindsayt (Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:19 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Good luck, but please don't let a chap called Kevin come anywhere near you, unless of course you want it to turn into a 'grand design' :lol:
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
karatestu (Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:44 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Will the extension be big enough to comfortably house a pair of huge speakers? :character-beavisbutthead:

Do you have a pre-1930 house with lime mortar? And if so, will you use lime mortar for the stone outer wall?

Have you thought about having a stone inner wall and not bothering with the plaster, for a traditional rustic look?

EcoFreek
Great Britain

Unread post by EcoFreek »

Heat pumps are now very efficient - this chap designs bits of aero engines for Rolls Royce so has no axe to grind: https://livinglaudatosi.com/heat-pump-c ... reference/. This is a discussion of a wider study: - I can send a pdf summary. Do insulate to current standards as that save on the size of the heat source and cost in the long term. ECO4 should deliver free heat pumps, insulation and PV to those households with an income of less than £31k.
These users thanked the author EcoFreek for the post:
karatestu (Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:07 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:26 pm Will the extension be big enough to comfortably house a pair of huge speakers? :character-beavisbutthead:

Do you have a pre-1930 house with lime mortar? And if so, will you use lime mortar for the stone outer wall?

Have you thought about having a stone inner wall and not bothering with the plaster, for a traditional rustic look?
Unfortunately it won't be big enough for fridge freezer sized speakers although it will be joined to my kitchen diner and accessed through the hole that has our large sliding French doors. Those doors will probably be removed.

House was built in 1920 so probably lime between the bricks. It is partially rendered - the bricks are visible upto 4ft above ground level, on the corners and around the doors and windows. It is an effect I like so might copy it but not as high as 4ft above ground.

I hadn't considered doing the inner wall with stone as well. Will have a think about that. Depends on whether the stone is good enough to be visible internally. If too rough it must be a nightmare to clean. I like the rustic look but I have tk consider what my wife wants and whether it would blend with what we have. None of the rest of the house is stone. It would save me money as no plasterboard or blocks required above floor level.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:19 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

EcoFreek wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:32 pm Heat pumps are now very efficient - this chap designs bits of aero engines for Rolls Royce so has no axe to grind: https://livinglaudatosi.com/heat-pump-c ... reference/. This is a discussion of a wider study: - I can send a pdf summary. Do insulate to current standards as that save on the size of the heat source and cost in the long term. ECO4 should deliver free heat pumps, insulation and PV to those households with an income of less than £31k.
Thanks. I am looking into heating and insulation. My aim is to insulate it to current standards or beyond if possible. I am researching heaf and energy sources but a lot of stuff to read and weigh up the pro's and con's.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well this project should keep you out of mischief and away from thoughts of hifi. That little JBL speaker will certainly come in handy while you're working, just double check the size you are building to the space needed good luck :grin:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Reminds me of a Gary Delaney joke.

A good friend has just had a penis extension - his neighbours aren't happy - makes his house look stupid :-)
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables