Bad DIY or bad art...?

A place for DIY project discussions.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Bad DIY or bad art...?

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Docfoster wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:37 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm At least one of the drivers is a Leak Sandwich mid range.

Good man! :-)
It's one my least favourite drivers. Very screechy and low power handling capacity. But, I like the way it looks.
Hopefully it will suffice in this unusual application.
I have a pair of Sandwich speakers and I have driven them with an amp well above their rating. In the right room they can produce a good sound, unfortunately that room is much larger than they were expected but be used in. Which may be why they weren’t/aren’t popular.

Docfoster
Wales

Re: Bad DIY or bad art...?

Unread post by Docfoster »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 pm
Docfoster wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:37 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm At least one of the drivers is a Leak Sandwich mid range.

Good man! :-)
It's one my least favourite drivers. Very screechy and low power handling capacity. But, I like the way it looks.
Hopefully it will suffice in this unusual application.
I have a pair of Sandwich speakers and I have driven them with an amp well above their rating. In the right room they can produce a good sound, unfortunately that room is much larger than they were expected but be used in. Which may be why they weren’t/aren’t popular.
Interesting to read that Geoff. It is entirely possible that my opinion is skewed by poor context.
I got to know the Leak midranges in a pair of Wharfdale Linton's. It wouldn't surprise me if their crossovers were poor and / or had aged badly.
I shall listen carefully and with an open mind to the Leak in its new refreshed application.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers