DIY music centre

A place for DIY project discussions.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: DIY music centre

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice work Stu, particularly like the idea of power supplies kept at the bottom of the unit.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:29 am Nice work Stu, particularly like the idea of power supplies kept at the bottom of the unit.
It has always been one of my major considerations when designing this "thing". Having the psu a metre or more down a cable is not always ideal especially when there is no regulator at the other end. In that case you can put the final smoothing caps next to the load and use thd cable's resistance as part of a CRC arrangement - eats up some noise.

I may end up putting thd phono board in a small metal enclosure to help shield it from interference. I aim to have the power amp boards, phono board, volume control and input selector switch very close to each other to minimise wiring length. The TT and CDP will be just above that with very short signal wiring through the top of the stand - rather than going to the rear of the unit. That will be the most direct route, keep signal wiring short and be accessible. The top panel of this unit will be hinged to allow access to the amplifier circuitry below.

I am going to reuse the 6mm thick aluminum sheet that my amp boards are bolted to.....

Wiring will change and although i only require four power amp boards now I will leave the other two on there just in case- well you never know what might happen in the future. I also have to allow for the possible 6future addition of a streamer and dac.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:46 pm) • slinger (Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:14 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Bugger all progress made here. I tried staining the wood but being pine it has come out blotchy and frankly looks shite. I'm gonna have to gloss paint this thing I think which is a shame. I do have a large compressor and spray gun so might use that. I once resprayed a Vauxhall Nova and it turned out alright once I had flatted out the orange peel.
DIY FREE ZONE