Cubix Pro problem

A place for DIY project discussions.
zebbo
Great Britain

Cubix Pro problem

Unread post by zebbo »

Good afternoon all.
Many of you may be aware, (ref my post in classifieds), of the issues I am having getting my system to sound right in my new house. Well I'm becoming more convinced that there may well be an issue with one of my Cubix Pro amp/speakers. I'm posting this here as I'm hoping you DIYers might have an idea as to what the problem might be.
The main issue I'm having is the bass being way too heavy and boomy. I first put this down to room acoustics but I now realise that the excessive bass output is from just one side. I swapped the output leads from my cartridge - no change so not that. Swapped the phono stage inputs at the pre-amp - no change so not that. Swapped over to 2nd input on pre-amp - no change so not that, which only leaves the L/H Cubix-Pro itself. If you place your head above the R/H speaker it sounds well balanced but do the same on the L/H side and it sounds really bass heavy. There is still midrange and HF output but just way too much bass. Any ideas?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Cubix Pro problem

Unread post by karatestu »

Sadly I haven't a clue what is causing your problem. I would say you need to contact Tomasz.
DIY FREE ZONE

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

If they're isobaric drivers in series and one of the drivers has shorted you'll effectively have half the impedence on that amp, which may account for an increase in volume.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:45 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

It could still be room acoustics. One or both speakers can excite a room mode and your head positioning at the anti-node of that mode means it stands out. The easiest solution to this one is to listen in or near a node (a pressure minimum).

Other things could be a driver seal leak, check playing a LF sinewave, While it's playing, eyeball driver excursion in both L & R channels.

You could check the DC resistance using a multimeter, they should be identical.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Have you tried separating the units and listening individually?

To remove the room accoustics issue, swap the speakers around (sorry if I misread and you e already done this). Do this without the amps and thensybe with the amp. (Yes, I know how heavy they are).

On the quiet side, gently prod the bass unit with something blunt. If the speaker doesn't move, it's blown (again apologies if this has been done).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro