Optimal internal speaker cabling for nva amps

A place for DIY project discussions.
Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Optimal internal speaker cabling for nva amps

Unread post by Shevans »

Many moons ago I wired up some Fostex horns with LS5 which the Doc had made for me unterminated but soldered. It was not fun fitting it in and wished at the time I had gone for something a bit thinner.
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm)

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Unread post by Ageagainstthemachine »

Thanks all for your replies and advice. I decided to plug them in and have a listen since the wires are separated apart from a small run to the tweeter. I will probably rewire them anyway when I finish playing with the crossovers. I think they'll benefit from the amp being upgraded to S300 in the near future although first impressions they sound fantastic!
These users thanked the author Ageagainstthemachine for the post:
Bencat57 (Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:17 am)
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Trying not to send this off topic but if the wire in a speaker is seen by some as not that important then why do they go to such great lengths inside a power amp which usually has shorter lengths of wire in it ? A lof of interconnects can be as long as the wiring in a floorstanding speaker and just look what care people go to with those.

It doesn't add up for me. The only guess I can come up with as to why it is more important is that the signal gets smaller the further up the equipment chain you go and the environment more noisy than a speaker.

I would use something of adequate current rating, low resistance and low capacitance. Not too stiff though as you will have problems. Take care if soldering to the drivers as too much heat for too long will have a bad result. Crimping to spade connectors is only reliable if you have the proper tool. I solder the wire in the spade connectors receptacle cos i can't do a good crimped joint for toffee.

I have used solid core copper wire stripped out of mains twin and earth in my many diy bodges . Never had a problem with it as far as capacitance goes. I would however probably use something with more willy waving points for a finished speaker. :grin:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
Ageagainstthemachine (Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 am) • Latteman (Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:51 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You would have to be mad to use nva speaker cable to wire speakers . When I had 2 arms I did and was.
It is difficult to solder ,thick multi strand and as flexible as my right leg.

It just ain't worth it
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:07 pm)

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

I'm not sure about using it in open baffle designs, but tinned solid core copper wire of an appropriate gauge would be my choice ... failing that (and for safety reasons for exposed cable) Solid Core Mains Cable with the conductors separated out
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:07 pm)