Optimal internal speaker cabling for nva amps

A place for DIY project discussions.
Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Optimal internal speaker cabling for nva amps

Unread post by Ageagainstthemachine »

Evening all,

Can anyone advise on the most optimal internal cabling to use on my speakers with my S150 please? They're Monacor Katana open baffle types and when I put them together I just used qed and whatever external speaker cable was to hand. I'd like to make sure I'm not putting extra stress on the amp with regards to capacitance or similar before I connect them.
Thanks.

Jason
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Daniel Quinn

Re: Optimal internal speaker cabling for nva amps

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Internal speaker cable is to short for it to be a factor .
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:44 pm)

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:42 pm Internal speaker cable is to short for it to be a factor .
Thanks, they're not small speakers, each one uses around 3 metres of cable, longer than my actual speaker cables
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I use sold core copper wire on my open baffle- I too have several long runs- I have used Nva speaker Core cable’s on previous diy speakers but never thought it added much so stuck with the solid core as it’s easy to shape and keep neat
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post (total 2):
Ageagainstthemachine (Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:18 pm) • TheRealAleman (Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:51 pm)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

The concern with speaker cables is capacitance so, if you keep the separate wires away from each other to minimise the capacitance there won’t be a problem. Two wires running parallel to each other represent a capacitor, the further apart they are the lower the capacitance.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 3):
Ageagainstthemachine (Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 am) • Lindsayt (Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:32 am) • karatestu (Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:43 am)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I guess it's 3 meters in total because there are multiple drivers , if so I repeat the above post.

If not , you will have to stop being so coy and tell us how they are configured in your post. Missing pertinent information in your query is asking for trouble
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Geoff.R.G (Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:36 am)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:20 am I guess it's 3 meters in total because there are multiple drivers , if so I repeat the above post.

If not , you will have to stop being so coy and tell us how they are configured in your post. Missing pertinent information in your query is asking for trouble
Agreed but 3m of internal wiring sounds a lot, just how big are these speakers?

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Thanks, 3m was a bit of a guess. I've just got the tape measure out and each speaker uses around 2.3m total. Each unit uses two 8'' bass drivers, one AMT tweeter (with adjustable level pad) and one 3.5'' full range driver. Crossover is simple first order with the full range using a single cap and inductor to create a band pass.

So single runs, any ideal gauge?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Ageagainstthemachine wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:02 am Thanks, 3m was a bit of a guess. I've just got the tape measure out and each speaker uses around 2.3m total. Each unit uses two 8'' bass drivers, one AMT tweeter (with adjustable level pad) and one 3.5'' full range driver. Crossover is simple first order with the full range using a single cap and inductor to create a band pass.

So single runs, any ideal gauge?
I would suggest that the gauge of wire should be suitable for the anticipated current. I don't know what the output current from you NVA amp is but 10A should be sufficient, too big is better than too small.

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

If you want to be sure about the lack of any issue with the NVA amps then look for what was the original LS2 cable (I think) this is off the real cable used for hook up I used to know the correct description but have forgotten it . As NVA do not offer that cable any more some one should be able to give you the details . If you are still worried then why not ask NVA to provide LS3 cable cut to suitable lengths this will I am sure ensure that you have the correct cable for your amplifier and your speakers.
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm)