Grounding arrangement for dual mono passive pre

A place for DIY project discussions.
Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Grounding arrangement for dual mono passive pre

Unread post by Ageagainstthemachine »

I'm currently in the process of making a dual mono passive pre and would like advice on whats best for grounding, should I tie the inputs to the outputs and should they be grouped together or ground individually?

I'm using the elma 48 position mono attenuators, should they be grounded, if so to which end?

I have a habit of over thinking so any advice and thoughts would be really appreciated.

Im making the case out of acrylic in similar fashion to the early alloy cases.

I will post pics when I figure out how to upload.
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Daniel Quinn

Re: Grounding arrangement for dual mono passive pre

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I suspect NVA will call such knowledge commercially sensitive although I don’t know . My advise would be to try various methods and listen . There isn’t no substitute for empirical knowledge
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Geoff.R.G (Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:40 pm)

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:15 pm I suspect NVA will call such knowledge commercially sensitive although I don’t know . My advise would be to try various methods and listen . There isn’t no substitute for empirical knowledge
I'd be surprised if they did as it's not special tech but a simple grounding layout. I'm sure someone with experience will come along with an answer.
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You think there is a right and wrong answer .., go figure .
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Geoff.R.G (Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:41 pm)

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:07 pm You think there is a right and wrong answer .., go figure .
There's several ways you can go about it which is why I thought I'd ask the experienced and knowledgeable members of the forum.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ageagainstthemachine wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:15 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:07 pm You think there is a right and wrong answer .., go figure .
There's several ways you can go about it which is why I thought I'd ask the experienced and knowledgeable members of the forum.
The best way is the one that sounds best.

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

OK 😂