Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA Cubix

Unread post by Sovereign »

I have been wondering that myself??? :think:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Not had much time last weekend. I'm still playing with the 'focus' bit. I guess I'm too used to NVA products doing this without any user intervention. :shock:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

*ALL* speaker need this intervention, it is just this one shows up the potential of change far more, and in the end should be far more satisfying because of it. It is also training your ears :mrgreen: :geek:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:*ALL* speaker need this intervention, it is just this one shows up the potential of change far more, and in the end should be far more satisfying because of it. It is also training your ears :mrgreen: :geek:
Hmm. I intend to test the 'ear training' bit by reverting to the ES22s at some point soon. I'm aware that the musical presentation of the Cubix is very different, just how different.

BTW wan't referring to other speakers in previous comments - obviously they all need consideration around positioning - just what I'd heard so far from NVA Amps, Cables and the TFS. Although there was a certain amount of 'ear training' with the TFS. Apart from that putting a new NVA component in has resulted in an improved perception of musical space and quality more or less immediately.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The training of ears is about the insight into recordings and recording techniques. All NVA products let you into this knowledge. But in my PHO (poor humble opinion :mrgreen: ) the speakers even more so. I have used so many speakers in my life it would be impossible to list them, the *only* reason I produced my own was because I reached a point where speakers were holding back my development in the areas that are most important to me - information, i.e. musical information. The turntable was a similar motivation. I don't produce them for selling purposes as with the amps and cables, I produce them for me as all other speakers (including Royds even though I love them musically) are a compromise in helping me hear things. So if you come to the conclusion they are not your cup of tea I would welcome them back as it saves me having to build another pair.

And yes BTW to other omnipresent lurkers, specifically one. I have used and heard many Tannoy 10 inch 12 inch and 15 inch of all ancestry, including reds. And for anyone to think they tell you about music, its recording, and the equipment it is being played on are bonkers or deaf. Honking midrange, brittle top that between them make violins sound like a school orchestra, and a piano like a honky tonk :lol: Valve amps tame this down a bit as the effects of the output transformer - per usual - swamp a lot of information. So tonality becomes the argument, and on a tonality level they could be considered a good combination.

I should start a thread on Tannoys seeing there is so much misinformation about them.

terrybooth
Great Britain

I fed them a different food tonight. I dug out some vinyl. Some Bowie, some Nirvana, some Stones. I still think I may be able to make a front back adjustment but the sound stage was right there all the instruments nicely focussed and sounding more like they are in the room (Nirvana 'In Utero' is either superbly engineered or it was recorded live with a minimum of production - it sounds like the latter to me. And the bass extension really showed it's use.
These aren't 'analytical' speakers. There's no 'I didn't realise that was in the mix' (meaning that something is getting over-emphasised - although they can do that). With the source I had this evening, it was jus good ol' rock 'n' roll.

I shall be raiding more of my vinyl collection this weekend. (Now, where did I put that Talk Talk album and Latin Quarter. And theres those cases full of old classical LPs...) :)

spacejay

Unread post by spacejay »

terrybooth wrote:I fed them a different food tonight. I dug out some vinyl. Some Bowie, some Nirvana, some Stones. I still think I may be able to make a front back adjustment but the sound stage was right there all the instruments nicely focussed and sounding more like they are in the room (Nirvana 'In Utero' is either superbly engineered or it was recorded live with a minimum of production - it sounds like the latter to me. And the bass extension really showed it's use.
These aren't 'analytical' speakers. There's no 'I didn't realise that was in the mix' (meaning that something is getting over-emphasised - although they can do that). With the source I had this evening, it was jus good ol' rock 'n' roll.

I shall be raiding more of my vinyl collection this weekend. (Now, where did I put that Talk Talk album and Latin Quarter. And theres those cases full of old classical LPs...) :)
i think steve albini produced in utero. he pays particular attention to the recording technique, uses old mics and generally knows how it should sound.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Thanks for the update TerryB

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Information is often confused with detail, often just ramp up the tweeter if you want detail. Musical information is something else, it tells you about the musicians, it tells you about the recording engineer, it tells you about how the recording was done, it tells you about the acoustic, but the magic is when it tells you about the emotional content of the music.

Recording engineers want detail which is why their speaker choices present and past have been mostly so horrendous. As I said I could not put up with Tannoys, nor can I put up with JBLs of what ever ilk. I had to put up with enough of them monitoring on the foldback desks for large PAs.