CUBE 1

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: CUBE 1

Unread post by zebbo »

Cubes in place and singing nicely. Can't really comment too much on any changes to the sound as several changes have happened at the same time, inc uprated tone-arm tube and re-wire. Thanks Doc for your efforts and to Nadia for the hospitality. :D .
Also Doc, could you put up a 600mm set of SSP's please, ta.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Helloooooo?? :?
Doc, can you list some 600mm SSP's on evil-bay please. Ta.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Done.

rumpoled
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rumpoled »

Hi Zebbo, any more info on your upgraded arm tube ,sounds interesting especially as I have the same arm as you 8-)
cheers

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Hi rumpoled, welcome to the forum.
I've only actually "upgraded" to the arm tube that should have been fitted, so it's probably now the same as yours. Mine was pretty much the first series V sold and at the time Jeff was having trouble getting hold of the new design tube so mine had the standard one fitted. I've really committed the cardinal sin of making several changes all at the same time so I don't have a clue which changes have had the biggest effect. To top all that off, because the arm wiring has been changed from fully wired, (from cart to phono), to RCA connectors on the TT, I'm using some cheapie interconnects at the moment hence the need for the SSP's.
What deck are you using the Audiomods on?

rumpoled
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rumpoled »

Hi Zebbo, thanks for the welcome , so have you wired the arm direct to the phonos or are you using the pink link with the 5pin din, I imagine it makes the suspension easier to set than having the straight through arm wire to dress, my Audiomods V is also wedded to an anniversary, is there another t/t worth having :lol:
not that I could afford anyway, enjoy your new bits those cube speakers look very interesting
cheers

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Hey, another Anniversary! 8-) That's at least three of us on here I think, is yours battery? I've certainly no plans on changing mine, it's such a lovely thing. The arm is directly wired, to a little board with a pair of sockets that screws to the back of the deck, with just the tiny wires so the suspension is now much more supple.
The Cubes are something else! I've always struggled with speakers in this room, particularly the bass performance and I hoped that the Cubes' different approach would work better and they certainly did. The only problem I have now is trying not to play my music too loud! :mrgreen:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I came across this post from Doc...

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

No, because of the design the stand is to be considered part of the speaker. It has to be heavy and stiff, it can be wood or metal and it should be spiked to the ground but not spiked (or bluetacked) to the speaker.

Cubes are not like ordinary speakers. Vibration within the cabinet in any loudspeaker is largely bass frequency, and represents the beat of the music. Normal speakers point that at you. But physics says action leads to reaction, so with normal speakers the low frequencies puts a rocking or upside down pendulum vibration into the stand. This distorts the timing of the beat as it has nothing to couple to unless it turns it 90degs and couples it to the ground, so the physical coupling is 90degs out of phase. This causes musical timing problems with the beat and also effects the phase of higher frequencies because of the rocking vibration implanted in the speaker. Hence often the need for spiked, cones or bluetack (couple v decouple) mating with the stand with normal loudspeakers. The Cube is different, the vibration is a compression in the vertical not horizontal mode, so there are no timing errors induced by the cabinet. BUT it is very important to couple that energy to earth correctly and stiffly, hence the need for spikes into the floor and even sometimes paving slabs if it is not a concrete floor but has moving floor boards. Get it right and this speaker produces musical bass not obtained from other normal speakers.

When I first got Cubes, I had Torlyte stands which have upward pointing cones built into the top plate. After that, I've used a couple of other speaker stands but always put cones on the top plate, as a matter of routine. What are other Cube owners doing? Cube flat on top plate...or cones / blu tak?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

My Cubes are attached to thd top plate with Blu tac for stability. The stands are heavy metal with spikes.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:22 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

My Cube 3's are on metal stands which have the three tubes filled with sand, making the stand heavier improved the bass. On the top plate there are three upward facing wooden cones, two at the front and on at the rear, these added to the clarity compared to rubber feet.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:22 pm)