What next for NVA on a budget?

All things NVA
Ukulele Sam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

What next for NVA on a budget?

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

So I don't post much on here (or at all on any other sites) but I have a mooch around the forum every day and can honestly say I have learnt a lot. Buying a house and starting a family put the brakes on hi-fi for a while but discovering NVA rekindled my interest and my budget set up gives great pleasure.

The family insist on a holiday each year (self, self self!) so I am upgrading slowly, finances are tight but wondered where to go next for the best NVA 'bang for buck' on a budget? Brief system outline is:

CD transport and laptop into DAC, which is main source.
Denon tt with Ortofon Red mm and internal phono stage (meh) - really enjoying vinyl again however.
NVA P20 into A60 (late 90's vintage) with captive interconnect and LS2 speaker cable.
Cubettes.

So what is the hierarchy for changes? My thought are either:

NVA Interconnects/digital cable or speaker cable upgrade.
Trade in pre-amp for P50sa
Just buy a phono 1
Sell the lot and buy some AVI speakers and an IPod (just kidding).

Guessing cables might be the answer but black acrylic boxes are sexier!!

No great rush, I am enjoying the journey but the urge to buy is upon me, any input welcome and many thanks!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: What next for NVA on a budget?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Speaker cable, and interconnects to P20 from sources if not nva ones.

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Many thanks Doc, thought that might be the answer.
Interconnects are non NVA so will check out the EBAY listings to see what is in budget for now but trade in scheme means you can't loose. Will be sure to post findings when I go ahead.

evilC
Great Britain

Unread post by evilC »

Yep, speaker cable was the turning point for me.
I started with a P50/A30 bundle deal with LS2. It didn't seem any better than the elderly Claymore I had at the time, just different, with more refined detail. Changing the speaker cable, just to LS1 I think, made a big improvement. it kind of released the amp from its shackles and let me hear the true potential of the Doc's designs.
I now use A80s with LS6 and recently dug out the old Mk1 A30 to demo for someone and was pleasantly surprised at how well it performed with the LS6.

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Thanks evilC, that's really helpful and it appears cables are the logical next step.
I might well go ahead and try some LS3 to start but if LS6 is as good as everyone suggests, sounds like I will probably end up there eventually. The upgrade scheme makes that no financial risk, which is the great thing abound NVA.
Cheers.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Personally I'd go for better interconnects before new speaker cables.

My reasoning for this is I (then) used LS3, and bought a set of LS6's. Initially I found the LS3's preferable within my (then) lower-end system. The LS6's perhaps showed up EVERYTHING, good and bad. Once I upgraded to the Rega CD/DAC combo, A70's and P50SA, the LS6's then blew away the LS3's.

I use SC's / LS2 for my kitchen system and SC for connecting my Blu-Ray to the P50SA (SP would be too expensive for a 2m pair). The rest of my interconnects are SP with an SSP as a CD-DAC interconnect. Next upgrade will be from Cube2's to Cube1's plus a TIS. But not soon...

Fundamentally it's just fun, and as you are aware the free upgrade path is both generous and (probably) unique. Plus there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum both from a standpoint of experience of the NVA upgrade path, and those who know electronics, sonics and the basic physics.

It's all about your ears.... Fill your boots!
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

wallace47
Great Britain

Unread post by wallace47 »

With a limited budget i would go for sound cord interconnects and LS3 cable to get the best bang per buck.That is where i started and was very happy with the results...
Revox B795 Phono1 AP70 LS5 Royd Minstrels ,AP10 Royd Conistons Grado RS1 E-Dac..

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I started with LS5 and SSC, but now have TIS and TSCS.

Of the NVA range, I feel that LS6 and SSP is the performance/cost sweet spot. Both are exceptional.

The Doc is a very generous person, so start with what you can afford Sam and move up as funds allow. I suggest start with the interconnects and move to your speaker cables next.

Good luck!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I went straight in with LS6 and SSP in my system and they obviously bettered my cables at that time - Townshend and Van Den Hul at 2-3 times the price of the NVA cables. With the upgrade scheme you can't go wrong, wherever you start, as others have said. Enjoy the differences as you go up the range.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Many thanks to all who replied. It was very much appreciated and there is indeed a wealth of knowledge and friendly advice to tap into on this forum. I only need one short interconnect between dac and pre, as those from old NVA A60 and tt are captive so current thoughts are SSC plus LS3 then go from there. Going to be good fun!!