Help me with amp and cable upgrade decisions!

All things NVA
Ed345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help me with amp and cable upgrade decisions!

Unread post by Ed345 »

My amps were broken in a house move and now the (not very generous) insurance payout has given me an opportunity to change / upgrade my system.

Due to buying B stock and used bargains I have been running an AP80 and AP70 with LS5 cables to my Epos ES22. Interconnects are mix of sound cord, old sound pipe and SSP mk1. Having the extra amp was definitely an improvement, but I think I've been getting the worst of both worlds running a kind of pre / power setup with two integrated amps.

I'm thinking that a pre power combo is the way to go rather than an integrated, but don't know whether to concentrate on the best amps or cables I can afford.

Obviously I'd love to get a P90sa, A100s, TIS, and TSCS. But my budget doesn't stretch to that. I can probably do 1 or 2 of those options, or maybe some other combo.

Option 1: A100 power amps, P50sa pre, use my LS5 speaker cable.

Option 2: A80 power amps, P50sa pre, TSCS speaker cable.

Option 3: A30 or A60 power amp, P50sa pre, TSCS speaker cable, TIS interconnects.

Ideally I'd like to try different options and return, but I live in Switzerland so the shipping and import charges from the EU make that awkward and expensive.

What would you prioritise? Amps, speaker cable, or interconnects?

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: Help me with amp and cable upgrade decisions!

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

A difficult choice !

I heard a statement pre and a A20 into a pair of cube 1s at NVA headquarters and it was very nice indeed.

My advice is to go a bit flat earth on this and buy the best pre you can afford. Next are the interconnects and speaker cable followed by the power amp. I had a loan of a A20 and was shocked by just how good this supposedly starter amp is. In my opinion it’s incredible value for money.

I have no doubt that somebody will come along and express a different opinion. It’s subjective after all !

Good luck with your decision making and please keep us updated on what you finally choose.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Re power amps, are the EPOS ES22 power hungry? Complex or minimal crossover? What is the size of your room and what volumes do you listen at? I think Terry Booth used to have a pair of the EPOS so he can chip in. You only need as much power as you need.

I agree with Stemcor re prioritising the preamp.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I found that upgrading to TSCS made a huge difference to my system in all areas, even more so than upgrading to PA90 SA and Cube 1s which improved particular areas of performance. I already had TIS in place between DAC and pre amp and pre amp and A80s. This is my experience with my system. I can't say that it would be applicable to all systems.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm I found that upgrading to TSCS made a huge difference to my system in all areas, even more so than upgrading to PA90 SA and Cube 1s which improved particular areas of performance. I already had TIS in place between DAC and pre amp and pre amp and A80s. This is my experience with my system. I can't say that it would be applicable to all systems.
CN...which speaker cables were you using before TSCS?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You would be happy with any combo, even as said the A20. Which ever way you go will give wiggle room for upgrade latter. Seeing as you are Swiss and shipping / trade in / upgrade for big items is going to be a hassle then the way to go is #1 and upgrade cable in the future as that is just done in the post.

NVA amp changes are not about power, even the little A20 will drive most things, it is about music, they get better musically as you go up the range the same as with cable etc.

But as I say your choice. There is no right way in this, there is just nuance.

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm Re power amps, are the EPOS ES22 power hungry? Complex or minimal crossover? What is the size of your room and what volumes do you listen at?
They are minimal crossovers. In a very large room at the moment, but at a smaller end of it! Not sure I’d say they were power hungry, but they certainly have always sounded better with bigger amps (and bi and tri amping). I do like to turn the volume up, at least occasionally.

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

So that’s one for pre amp, one for speaker cable and one for the amps! (although Doc’s opinion is based on practical shipping advice)

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Checking eBay at the moment and if I was starting fresh-
B stock A60 £700
Reduced P50 £190
Traded in Cube 2 £800
with your Ls5 and some interconnects in the current sale 👍🏼
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

Latteman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:18 pm Checking eBay at the moment and if I was starting fresh-
B stock A60 £700
Reduced P50 £190
Traded in Cube 2 £800
with your Ls5 and some interconnects in the current sale 👍🏼
I’ve already got an old A60, and I’m happy with my current speakers, so that still leaves the insurance money burning a hole in my pocket!