Phono 3 / RFI problems

All things NVA
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Phono 3 / RFI problems

Unread post by Classicrock »

So certain routers are problematic? Changing router might be the cheapest solution.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Virgin Media router here- no interference.
Two TiVo boxes, 1 close to hifi- no interference- used to use the digital out for radio. Our feed is first off the distribution cabinet in our street so always a strong signal- which u can decrease with inline attenuators
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

eagwok33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Thanks to all for the valuable inputs. Very much appreciated!

I did some more tests over the weekend and had some success. :-)
The Wifi in "on" or "off"-mode on our older Pirelli high speed modem / router made no difference / improvement regarding the RFI noise. So, I could eliminate our modem from the list for possible sources of the introduced noise.

I had ferrite rings ready to put over the power cable of the BBPSU and a special, thicker Aluminum foil I had bought at the super market to wrap the phono 3 unit with it, but then I remembered that Richard said, one solution could be a BMU (if the noise is mains borne) and as I have a kind of BMU, a heavy Isolation transformer with two Schuko outlets (for many years not used in my system) at home, I thought, lets try it. :epopc:

And it worked quite well! 8-)
I could listen to music with the phono 3 without detectable RFI noise at normal up to high volume settings the whole afternoon and evening. Only, when I crank the volume up beyond my normal listening range and more close to the max. volume, there was some RFI noise coming through again. But the improvement in general has been very noticeable. As it looks, the source of the noise comes from the mains! Thanks, Richard for your tip and experience! :clap: :guiness;

I will listen a few days with the phono 3 in the system and see if this improved RFI-noise situation stays now permanent and more important if the pure musical bliss of the MM phono 2 version I had before, comes back again. The music I listened to yesterday was reproduced impressively with bass slam, weight and depth, but didn't grab me emotionally as much as my NVA MM phono 2 unit did before (of course, this is only from memory and from reading my listening notes for the review in this forum at that time).
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Check cartridge set up. MCs are far more sensitive to set up than MMs. Could be dirty or worn / duff stylus. TT are a constant battle to keep on song.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just remembered you had MC through a SUT. SUTs are different they have character mostly from being frequency limited due to a coil only being made for one frequency with a slow roll off either side, so that might explain the RF not showing up. For me the people who like SUTs are normally people who like what valves do.

eagwok33
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:49 pm Check cartridge set up. MCs are far more sensitive to set up than MMs. Could be dirty or worn / duff stylus. TT are a constant battle to keep on song.
Thanks Richard! Agreed, to keep TTs on song is constant work. Both TTs work fine, currently :-)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm Just remembered you had MC through a SUT. SUTs are different they have character mostly from being frequency limited due to a coil only being made for one frequency with a slow roll off either side, so that might explain the RF not showing up. For me the people who like SUTs are normally people who like what valves do.
You remembered right, I normally prefer SUT and tube mm phono stage with my MC cartridges as I love the musicality of this combination. I agree that the SUT combined with MM may filter RF better and so I couldn't detect the RF with MM-phonos (tube as well as Graham Slee Revelation plus SUT).

Latest developments regarding RF-noise with phono 3:
When used with my shielded pair of LFD interconnects to the pre (shield connected on one side only as far as I know) and the BBPSU taking power from the Isolation transformer, the RF-noise is no longer detectable with normal listening levels. Once, I use a non-shielded wire (my DIY silver solid core or my new NVA SSP) the phono 3 starts with kind of "chirping sounds" again. I will on the weekend try to put some Aluminum foil over the SSP cable and see if this helps. :epopc:

First Impression on fresh out of the box NVA SSP is very promising with a musically engaging sound! 8-)
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink: