NVA feedback - what could be better

All things NVA
Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Re: NVA feedback - what could be better

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 am
zebbo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:20 pm I agree that the Cube grilles are a bit meh, but they certainly protect the drivers. I did actually have a search round on'tinternet myself but couldn't find anything much better. Bespoke items would be expensive to implement I would have thought. My biggest bug-bear has always been the nasty "Maplins" knobs on the P90sa, would some nice, slightly bigger, (and with a clear ident), knobs be too difficult? Other units in the range have them.
On the whole though, I wouldn't want to see the core designs altered.
Will look into both.

Thanks, Zebbo.
Audio Note (as mentioned in upgrade components) do a nice selection of big knobs (excuse me vicar) silver or a rather fetching gold too I believe.

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Provided it did not compromise the amplifiers power supply and obviously sound quality, maybe a 5v dc out to power all these USB DAC's etc. I know there are many (myself included) who have specific power supplies for this purpose, but the utility of ditching a box if a high quality dc out could be provided - without compromising the amp, might appeal to some in this age of iThings and possibly be a USP.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

When, in the future, I get round to upgrading my P50 I was going to ask if it was possible to have a mono switch added just as a one off however it may be something that other folk may like too.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hemmo1969 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am
savvypaul wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 am
zebbo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:20 pm I agree that the Cube grilles are a bit meh, but they certainly protect the drivers. I did actually have a search round on'tinternet myself but couldn't find anything much better. Bespoke items would be expensive to implement I would have thought. My biggest bug-bear has always been the nasty "Maplins" knobs on the P90sa, would some nice, slightly bigger, (and with a clear ident), knobs be too difficult? Other units in the range have them.
On the whole though, I wouldn't want to see the core designs altered.
Will look into both.

Thanks, Zebbo.
Audio Note (as mentioned in upgrade components) do a nice selection of big knobs (excuse me vicar) silver or a rather fetching gold too I believe.
Lol.

Here are the Audio Note knobs - only £32.23 each (plus postage): https://www.hificollective.co.uk/knobs/ ... knobs.html

We are going to look at having acrylic knobs made with more visible indents - hopefully we can beat the Audio Note price ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Please educate me. Why can't a remote volume control be powered by an external "wall wart". The rest is just switching. That way most of the noise could be well away from the passive innards and a commercial unit (tested for minimum noise) could simply be plugged into the back of the pre-amp.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:37 pm Please educate me. Why can't a remote volume control be powered by an external "wall wart". The rest is just switching. That way most of the noise could be well away from the passive innards and a commercial unit (tested for minimum noise) could simply be plugged into the back of the pre-amp.
It can be done that way but, to our minds, it partially defeats the objective of using a passive preamp...and we strongly dislike switching type power supplies. It would also add at least a few hundred pounds to the final product...and it couldn't have a stepped attenuator.

Where we can remove inconvenience without negatively impacting sound quality (and especially if we can improve sound quality at the same time), we will - such as with the smooth and quiet stepped attenuators we are now using. Where adding convenience will negatively impact sound quality, we'd rather make the product that prioritises sound quality.

A remote volume would make (a little) more sense in an integrated...
I am in the hi-fi trade

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Around the time of Richards passing, I bought a P90SA to replace my old P80.

The volume attenuators are really noisy, particularly the left channel, especially going down in volume. Also, the attenuators feel somewhat vague, and the also point slightly at different times (imagine a clockface) at the same volume.

I know I got a pretty good deal in a new unit, but I actually prefer the P80. Much nicer to use in operation.

I know you do a good value upgrade for it, but having only owned it for a few months, I’m a bit disappointed with it.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

At the price you paid, I think that's a tad harsh.

savvypaul
Great Britain

TheMarlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:21 pm Around the time of Richards passing, I bought a P90SA to replace my old P80.

The volume attenuators are really noisy, particularly the left channel, especially going down in volume. Also, the attenuators feel somewhat vague, and the also point slightly at different times (imagine a clockface) at the same volume.

I know I got a pretty good deal in a new unit, but I actually prefer the P80. Much nicer to use in operation.

I know you do a good value upgrade for it, but having only owned it for a few months, I’m a bit disappointed with it.
The new attenuators are much, much nicer to use, and they are quiet between steps. Have a look in the reviews section to check out what is being said by those who have had the upgrades done: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46556&p=199259#p199259

If I throw in the wiring part of the upgrades for free (so £400 instead of £460) would that help?
I am in the hi-fi trade

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

TheMarlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:21 pm Around the time of Richards passing, I bought a P90SA to replace my old P80.

I've read a few posts now which refer to noisy stepped attenuators, although this is the first to add vagueness. When I had my P90sa it was not noisy at all and had very well defined steps.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: