P50SA & A80's revisited

All things NVA
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

P50SA & A80's revisited

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I posted my initial thoughts early March and they were positive. However, it's good to live with stuff for a while to see if the novelty wears off.

I had expected the system to improve with time as that had been my previous experience - especially with the TIS I bought as well. I have to say, it hasn't been day and night. Yes there has been an improvement but that could be simply down to my learning how to drive the new configuration to get the best out of it. Like others, I leave the volume on the P50 set (the adjustment is quite coarse for my ears) and use the finer digital adjustment on the Blusound Vault.

As I reported before, the definition and imaging are superb, the bass extends lower and has more weight than the kW550 (which is known for its bass control). However, it does sound more incisive on female voice and that can be tiring on some albums e.g. Anastacia. However, that does calm with time and perhaps an extended run in will reduce this - that has been my experience but it may not apply with NVA.

What I really miss is the euphony that the valves in the kW550 give. Everything is razor sharp but not really relaxed. As ever, it's whatever compromise suits. I posted here before that the kW550 and A20 were different, but both were valid. The same remark applies here.

Will I take the option to return the A80's. I doubt it but it's a closer call than I anticipated.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).