SOLVED - NVA P50 II. , very low volume

All things NVA
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: SOLVED - NVA P50 II. , very low volume

Unread post by karatestu »

Switches and pots are a necessary evil for most I'm afraid :cry: For years now one of my systems has had no switches or pots at all :dance: . To change inputs I have to turn everything off and swap some interconnects in. My volume control (well there is no control :lol: ) is essentially a potential divider in each channel made of two resistors and all soldered.

This replicates a shunt stepped attenuator but without the switch. It is the ultimate in purist thinking and sounds awesome but I can't change the volume without getting the soldering iron out. I wondered about putting in a couple of binding post type things (but smaller) where I can change the resistor by just turning a couple of knobs, removing the resistor, put a different value in and then tighten the knobs back up.

Less is more :dance: A quote I read elsewhere this morning, Doc would like this- "It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is no more to add but when there is no more to take away". Sums up my way of thinking perfectly (but not when it comes to speakers, the number of drivers and the size of the enclosure :shhh: )
DIY FREE ZONE

K90tour2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by K90tour2 »

I, too am faced with having to swap interconnects to achieve the best result.
Surely this will wear out the plugs and sockets before too long.

My AMR DAC/Preamp (which I am using as a preamp), has an interesting feature in that when you turn the volume up to 0dB, it automatically bypasses the volume control.
So at the moment I have both turntable and CD plugs into its analogue inputs.
I run the turntable at -30dB and when I switch to CD, turn the volume up to max and control the volume at the CD player.
It still sounds best if I run the CD player direct into the power amp.

Any advice on making a switch box that runs CD direct to output and vinyl via a volume control would be greatly appreciated.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I actually had the reverse problem of this years ago. Running a Hegel DAC directly into NVA power amps and using the Hegel's internal volume control.

Soundwise it was all a bit edgy and unstable, also there were severe grounding noise problems - especially when I activated the DAC's headphone output.

Putting an NVA P50SA in between DAC and power amps solved all problems and gave me a smoother, more integrated sound that was more satisfying than the DI approach.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ