Ap30 arrived

All things NVA
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Ap30 arrived

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

New ap30 (well new to me) today and i can now scratch that nva itch. arrived in "nuke proof packaging" well done that man! and also as described a rare thing on ebay! Unpack and switch on, leave for several hours. So down to my impressions. Seems to like my cubetts, ls1 and ssc, cubetts have never sounded this good. Only been a few hours and via cd, well dvd player to be honest. need to play some vinyl before any conclusion could be made also a lot more time :grin:. clarity ,bass, etc i don't know. just sounds good to me :grin:
once i can get my vinyl up and running ill know much more as its my main source. will report back should anyone be interested. this is my first nva amp! Thanks to the seller we have a very happy buyer, a man of this parish, you know who you are. thank you :guiness;
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Ap30 arrived

Unread post by karatestu »

We're always interested :epopc: . Enjoy your improved music :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

We had an AP30 in here last month. Played lovely and would give a serious fright to £1k+ amps in the shops now. The Cubettes (or any of the Cubes) are ideal for it.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 am We had an AP30 in here last month. Played lovely and would give a serious fright to £1k+ amps in the shops now. The Cubettes (or any of the Cubes) are ideal for it.
What size transformer would that have- would it benefit from the upgraded caps & transformer
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

savvypaul
Great Britain

Latteman wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 am
savvypaul wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 am We had an AP30 in here last month. Played lovely and would give a serious fright to £1k+ amps in the shops now. The Cubettes (or any of the Cubes) are ideal for it.
What size transformer would that have- would it benefit from the upgraded caps & transformer
Possibly but if it is pre all-acrylic days then I would leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. We've voiced the upgrades for the latest boards (post 2010) and spending that sort of money on an amp of that age sort of defeats the bargain nature of it.

Probably an 80va (same as we fit to the S80 Stereo Power Amp).
I am in the hi-fi trade

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

My first NVA was an AP30, it was a Black Box kit that I assembled with some help from Richard. The most cost effective change I made was to swap the Cermet pot for an Alps Blue Velvet. The channel balance was spot on after that, small volume adjustments were easier to make and there was no more swishing when changing volume either.

savvypaul
Great Britain

The Alps is a good pot. We now fit it to the standard P50 and the AP10H / AP10P.

It can't always be fitted in the older NVA amps - depends on space, it's quite a bit bigger.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

ap30 playing away, its an all acrylic model, maybe been around the block a few times? don't mind though as it sounds GOOD. never noticed until today it has a 1/8th hole next to the on light just a hole and very neat, so much so i didn't see it so possibly its been "played with" at some time? Either way not complaining. Might be interesting to know though? was brought to try and that's what i intend to do, and at this time its proving to be :grin:

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Glad it arrived to you safely.
And even more so that you're enjoying it.
I can't remember exactly when or where I picked it up tbh. Ebay I think. A few years back. I never played with it as such. Iirc I think I reinforced the top plate's support as it used to sag a bit. But that's it.
Leant it to a friend a few years ago but I reclaimed it recently for the sale as I need funds atm.
Anyway. Pleased you're making the most of it.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post:
karatestu (Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Thanks doc, the more I listen the more I enjoy :grin:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:56 am)