NVA. Cube2

All things NVA
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NVA. Cube2

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm I agree with CN, although NVA amps are good, the Cubes are the highlight of the NVA range Simply stunning
Speakers are easily the most personal choice of any audio component. The differences in presentation are the most marked. Not surprising, really, given how much difference there is between different designs. Compare those differences to something like DACs.

The first NVA item I purchased was a BMU. I was so impressed with it that I called Richard up and asked him what I should try next. He told me that if I liked Cubes then I would definitely like the rest. I ended up buying a P50 / A60 / Cube 1s / SSP / LS6. The cables arrived first, so I tried them with my Sugden amp and Harbeth speakers. Subtle but definite improvement. Then the amps arrived...subtle but definite improvement. Then the Cubes arrived...different league, very different presentation.

Yet, I have helped Richard at shows, and visited shows, where I have seen people walk into the room, see the Cubes, mutter something along the lines of 'Oh, no. I hate those things' and walk straight back out again. Others have sat there for 5 minutes and said 'that's a bit weird'. Others have said 'Mmmm, there's something very interesting here'. Shows are a tough environment, lots of ambient noise, people coming in and out of the room, sometimes less than ideal rooms and acoustics. Richard sold virtually nothing at the shows he did in the last 4 years, partly because of the issues above, but partly because people were being asked to take in two ideas at once - the performance of the amps, and the different (to them) presentation of the Cubes.

Don't underestimate how difficult it is for an amp manufacturer to achieve cut through to also being a successful speaker manufacturer. One of the first bits of advice I got, from several people in the industry, was 'do what you are known for'. Consider these examples...

Naim - well known for amps. Diabolical speakers.
Rega - well known for turntables. Mediocre amps. Mediocre speakers (apart from ELA which used Royd drivers)
Linn - well known for turntables. Mediocre amps. Diabolical speakers.

We will dem the new Cubes at shows, but we will also dem extensively with the types of speakers that most visitors will be familiar with.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:31 am
We will dem the new Cubes at shows, but we will also dem extensively with the types of speakers that most visitors will be familiar with.
Any ETA on new Cubes? Or will they be Cube³?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

savvypaul
Great Britain

terrybooth wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:31 am
Any ETA on new Cubes? Or will they be Cube³?
Partners are building prototype cabinets and testing drivers. Delayed by pandemic. Tomasz hasn't been here for 3 months to be able to input, and the cabinet maker has turned half of their factory over to making PPE for the NHS. Hopefully, we can get cracking again by the Summer.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Will they be similar to much of the origional designs?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Same dimensions (Cube 1) and core principles.

Different cabinets and drivers.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Ordinaryman (Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Sounds promising 👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Hopefully the dimensions being cube like and the driver configuration will be enough to keep the original Cube 1 sound . I wish you all the best with the launch when it happens. Hopefully I get a chance to hear them sometime.
These users thanked the author Chunk McDaniel for the post:
karatestu (Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:54 am)