NVA. Cube2

All things NVA
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

NVA. Cube2

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

In the 4 years or so since I moved to NVA amplifiers cables and the Cubes I have had a chance to listen to a fair amount of other systems. To be perfectly honest most put me to sleep. Tuned to kill dynamics that should be there in the music and not anywhere near what instruments really sound like. NVA gets you closer to the truth every time.
These users thanked the author Chunk McDaniel for the post:
karatestu (Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:28 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: NVA. Cube2

Unread post by karatestu »

I don't get to hear many different speakers, only the four pairs I owns so can't make the comparisons you have Chunk. I never ever get bored listening to the semi omni ones that use the doped drivers and no filters. :dance:

The essence of music shines through I feel. Timing and dynamics are extremely important aspects that enable me enjoy the music. Even when you use a first order filter on the mid bass the cut off slope is so shallow that you end up hearing some of the nasty cone break up modes higher up (kevlar and metal cones the worst for this). So most manufacturers end up putting music killing higher order filters in to make the cut off slope a lot steeper and the break up much less audible or out of band altogether.

I feel the dope has a lot going for it. I have listened to fresh kevlar drivers doped at several stages and the transformation was remarkable. As they are up firing you can dope them without moving the speaker as long as it is level. I even listened when they were still wet :lol:

Glad you are still enjoying your Cube 2's :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Cubes are probably my biggest hifi WOW experience, the music taking on a new dimension with a sense of realism with a sound stage which was not there before. Previously I was obtaining a better musical experience through quality head phones. Because of their transparity the upgrades and tweeks I have made since have all resulted in benefits to a greater or lesser extent. I am sure many, particulary the digital tweeks, would be masked by less open conventional point and squirt speakers. The only speakers I have heard since are 3.5K WAF Spendors. It was not a pleasant experience.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:46 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Still loving my Cube2's and feel no desire to try anything else.

Hearing NVA Cubes back in the 80's changed the way I experienced hifi reproduction, although it took me 30 years to get a set of my own.

Magnepan panel speakers nearly had me hooked with their very special 2D imaging capability. But they lacked 'life' and punch. And my old warhorse Arcam One's have a glorious, rich, involving tonality but aren't too hot on imaging or precision detail.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Was messing around with my smartphone and installed a Spirit Level app for fun. Looking for something to try it out on, I thought I would check the Cube2's.

To my horror I found that both were leaning forward, rhe right one more than the left. That's what you get with wooden flooring in a 300-year-old farmhouse.

Using the Level app and a strip of wood for one side, now both speakers are levelled out and it has made a subtle improvement to the cohesion of the soundfield and widened the soundstage.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
savvypaul (Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I have gone even further, my Cubix came with an early version of Richards quite complex Cubix stands ( 10 sections of heavy plate steel and 1 section of square steel tubing). I have subsequently had them powder coated and the 6mm spikes drilled out and replaced with longer 10mm spikes so I can angle my Cubix upwards by approximately 5° The difference in the presentation between level and slightly upwards is noticeably better.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I agree with CN, although NVA amps are good, the Cubes are the highlight of the NVA range Simply stunning
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:30 am) • karatestu (Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:52 am)

Chunk McDaniel

Maybe depending on how far you have the speakers from the front wall. Angling the speakers slightly gives a different reflection angle thus a different sound. I have found the cubes a speaker that changes it's presentation with the slightest of position change. At the moment mine are dead level about 2" from the wall toed in so I can just see the side of the speakers nearest the middle from my listening position. The stereo effect is incredible the music does not seem to be coming from the Cubes at all but from a large 3D sounstage the full width of the room on the speaker plane. I once suggested trying tilting the speakers back but the Doc was dead against the idea. I like to mess around with placement though and have found the slightest tweaks of the Cubes give different presentations of the music. All very good but just different.
savvypaul (Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33 am)

Chunk McDaniel

I also have my subwoofers sitting on the floor just inside each speaker. The overall sound is breathtakingly real for a speaker system. Subwoofers with Cubes is highly recommended and were so easy to integrate. Didn't have any problems that the people with point and squirt speakers seem to have with integration. The twin stereo subs give a sense of body and dimentionality to the music without bringing any attention to themselves. You don't even notice them doing their thing until you switch them off.
karatestu (Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:55 am)

Chunk McDaniel

Was toying with the idea of making up a spacer piece to sit on top of my subs to place the Cubes on and have them at the height they currently are on their own stands. Think I might prefer having them as they are though. Being independent of each other gives more options in placement of the Cubes. Although the cubes sitting atop a pillar of nice walnut suitably dampened and of the same dimensions would look the dogs bollocks.