Using Power Amps without a Pre Amp

All things NVA
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Using Power Amps without a Pre Amp

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Bill hart wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:56 pm Thanks everyone, very interesting and helpful. Excellent group.
I guess where I am coming from is, with a limited budget and a dac that can provide a level of control, am I better off spending money on power amps and a pre or power amps and upgraded cables? The consensus seems to be that you don’t need the pre.
Geoff.R.G, interesting what you say about output levels and sensitivity. My current system is using the RME dac into a Croft Micro pre amp with a pair of Quad II power amps which I had modified in the early 1990s by Doug Dunlop of Concordant fame. Sounds excellent but I have the RME output set to about 50% and the Croft volume set to around 33%.
There are suggestions that restoring the Quad II to original has sonic benefits. The Concordant mods raise the HT voltage which is, apparently not a good idea. Have a look here http://www.keith-snook.info/quad-ii-concordant.html. However if you are planning to buy NVA mono-blocks I wouldn't bother with doing anything with the Quads.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

My P90sa is almost always set to around 11 o' clock (the volume that I usually listen at with vinyl sources), then with digital I use the fine adjustment (and remote control) of the RME DAC. I don't detect any change in sound quality when reducing the volume using the RME compared to setting the RME a +-0db and then adjusting with the preamp. That was not the case with the Squeezebox that I used to use, though, which sounded noticeably better when fixed to maximum...as so often, it depends on the quality of the implementation and what the designer is trying to achieve. Experiment and find your own answer.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun May 16, 2021 6:15 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

My P90 SA is usually set at 11 o'clock which is best for the tv. Being a metal fan I think turning it up to 12 would cause me a lot of grief if I did not live in a detached house. :character-beavisbutthead: :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You lot must not be using low Output moving coils , mine is set at 25 past.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:40 pm My P90sa is almost always set to around 11 o' clock (the volume that I usually listen at with vinyl sources), then with digital I use the fine adjustment (and remote control) of the RME DAC. I don't detect any change in sound quality when reducing the volume using the RME compared to setting the RME a +-0db and then adjusting with the preamp. That was not the case with the Squeezebox that I used to use, though, which sounded noticeably better when fixed to maximum...as so often, it depends on the quality of the implementation and what the designer is trying to achieve. Experiment and find your own answer.
My inclination would be to set the volume on the pre-amp and then use the volume controls on other sources such that the overall volume remains unchanged between sources.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:20 pm You lot must not be using low Output moving coils , mine is set at 25 past.
Old blue SA had 24 steps
new ones have 23.

Past 25 means you must have use something else... therefore it is hard to tell actual volume :shock:
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

25 past is the time on the dial (roughly) I havnt counted the steps

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

RD was always worried about directly driving NVA power-amps from a digital source. There is the possibility that a DAC (for example) will have its output reset to max at startup and damage both amps and speakers as soon as music starts playing.

The passive preamp inbetween also then acts as a safeguard, the volume being set to a level high enough for further control via the source component but low enough to protect poweramp and drivers.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
CN211276 (Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:20 pm You lot must not be using low Output moving coils , mine is set at 25 past.
Low output MC (SPU)...high efficiency speakers.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

I know this may sound silly but, giving the volume control setting as a clock position is only valid if the pot, or stepped attenuator, has its datum at 6:00, meaning that zero is around 7:00 (potentiometers have a dead space between 5:00 and 7:00 with the datum at 6:00). I can't tell you where my volume control is set because my pre-amp displays the volume as a number (quiet at the back I like having a remote control). On my more usual audio devices the control positions are marked in db from -60 to +10.

I am assuming that DQ's 25 past (5:00?) is full volume.