Using Power Amps without a Pre Amp

All things NVA
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Using Power Amps without a Pre Amp

Unread post by Lindsayt »

About 60% of my listening is at 1 volume setting. It's at the approximate volume that the lead vocalist would be singing if they were live, unamplified at the far end of my room. For my recordings with dark green DR ratings.
About 25% of my listening is at a lower volume setting but about the same in room volume for the lead vocalist. This will be for loudness wars red and yellow DR rating recordings.
About 10% of my listening will be at a "late night" listening level. Quiet enough to let others sleep in the house.

I generally find that once I've set the volume I'll leave it there for the whole album. Or the whole evening. Or for several listening sessions in a row.

On my AV system, the vast majority of the time, the volume is set at 60 or very close to it. So much so that I could quite happily live with dispensing with the volume control and having it at a fixed setting.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:09 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 am (quiet at the back I like having a remote control)
Could NVA not re-introduce the P20 preamp with just a motorised Alps volume control. would this not also make it more inviting for new NVA users to get on the bottom rung of the ladder.
In this one thread we have the OP asking to do away with a pre-amp for a single source, and a subsequent poster suggesting that we should reintroduce a single input pre-amp. It's a good job that we're not trying to please all of the people all of the time. ;)

A standard ALPS pot would not fit in the P20 case, let alone a motorised ALPS. Then, where would you put the batteries? Or do you prefer a SMPS to plug in the back of it?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 am
BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:09 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 am (quiet at the back I like having a remote control)
Could NVA not re-introduce the P20 preamp with just a motorised Alps volume control. would this not also make it more inviting for new NVA users to get on the bottom rung of the ladder.
In this one thread we have the OP asking to do away with a pre-amp for a single source, and a subsequent poster suggesting that we should reintroduce a single input pre-amp. It's a good job that we're not trying to please all of the people all of the time. ;)

A standard ALPS pot would not fit in the P20 case, let alone a motorised ALPS. Then, where would you put the batteries? Or do you prefer a SMPS to plug in the back of it?
It is actually quite simple: The choice is yours, use the volume control in your source component, use a passive pre-amp or use an active pre-amp. Whichever you decide, you are getting a quality of sound that Harold Leak and Peter Walker and others worked very hard to achieve. The compromises involved are minor compared to the effects of ageing, tinnitus and ambient noise so, make your choice, forget what anyone else thinks, sit back and enjoy the music.