NVA p80 pre with phono stage.

All things NVA
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NVA p80 pre with phono stage.

Unread post by savvypaul »

justshoemark wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm Hi there. So how much are you asking for this PSU?
So where are you based in the UK?
So if I had this all I would need to do is have the leads put into my p80.
Many thanks
It's definitely not plug and play. Depending on what's inside your P80, you would need a minimum of 2, probably 3, additional regulators, and additional smoothing capacitors, to be fitted inside your P80.

Tom is based in Poland. If you're OK to collect from Poland or pay for it to ship in a crate (probably around £100 - £150), then it may be worth having a chat with Tom about price, but you would still need to do the fitting / alterations yourself.

Otherwise, DIY something of your own is the way to go. There are plenty of people here with the knowledge required. It's not a job that we would want to take on - between new builds, current upgrades and prototyping new integrated and Cubes, we just don't have the time.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

quickie2
Great Britain

Unread post by quickie2 »

If you pop the lid off the P80 you should find that the 4 x LM317/337 voltage regulators that power the 4 x gain stages with the OP27 op amps on the phono bit are all on the same pcb.

They will be linked together for use with a single power supply, so if using four the links will need to be cut and a separate cable soldered to the +/- & 0v connections for each on the pcb, then run out of the back of the P80, and terminated with an XLR or similar to plug into the power supply.

If I had time Mark I would do the work for you, but as Paul says I'm sure they are plenty here that will help guide you if you decided to do it.

The other option would be to find or make just one power supply, and use your existing one so you then have one per channel.
Last edited by quickie2 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My noise making stuff :

Modified Arcam Alpha 5 CD Player
Inca Designs ID1P Pre
Prototype EWA A40 Power
Q Acoustics 2010i/Royd Minstrel speakers

justshoemark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by justshoemark »

Hi all.
Many thanks for your help on this. I not sure I am up to doing this work on my own. And I do understand that you are all busy with making new items.
I may no someone who can do the work I will ask them and see what they say. Thanks for the help

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The P80s we have seen had only one regulator on the board. But, pop the lid and you will find out, either way.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
quickie2 (Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:06 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

quickie2
Great Britain

Unread post by quickie2 »

Yes, I'm sure mine had all four, but it was along time ago.!
My noise making stuff :

Modified Arcam Alpha 5 CD Player
Inca Designs ID1P Pre
Prototype EWA A40 Power
Q Acoustics 2010i/Royd Minstrel speakers

justshoemark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by justshoemark »

I don't want them pop the lid off if it's not easy to seal again. And I find it's Gona cost to much to do. I might be better off buying a new phono and passive pre for the same price.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

justshoemark wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm I don't want them pop the lid off if it's not easy to seal again. And I find it's Gona cost to much to do. I might be better off buying a new phono and passive pre for the same price.
Richard changed techniques over the years, all the stuff i'm familiar with has a counter sunk hex head machine screw in each top corner. A bit of double sided tape discouraged casual removal. Is yours like that?

As for simple improvements, getting the input capacitance and resistance exactly right might be worth doing. Not all cartridges are best with 47k and whatever capacitance.